RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Aperture

Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Aperture

Ok so I am still learning and plan on going to school in the Spring. I have been reading a lot about what aperture is but I am hoping for some clarification. Is aperture limited by camera, lens, or both?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Patron

Re: Aperture

Aperture is normally associated with the lens only as it is built into the lens its limits set by lens type and design.
As it is only one part of the exposure equation along with shutter speed ISO etc you may find the following simulators helpful in giving you a better understanding
http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator.html
http://dryreading.com/camera/index.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Thank you both! Boneappetit I had heard of the program but I was refering to what Tony is talking about.

@Tony That is what I thought but I wasn't 100% since I have been looking at cameras and it mentioning aperture in the specs though now that I think about it those were probably bundled with a lens :P. So if I understand right if I had a low end entry level camera it would not restrict aperture of any lens I might have in the future. Thanks a ton! Also ty for the links going to check them out right away.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Patron

SierraBella lens manufacturers normall quote aperture as part of their specs. it is actually a physical part of the lens (a leaf mechanism that opens and closes to let in more or less light) and the usuall quote is for the maximum aperture. For instance a prime lens may be quoted as having an aperture of f/1.4 or f2.8 whereas a zoom lens may be quoted as having f/3.5/f/5.6 - more expensive zooms can have a fixed max aperture.

You are correct an entry level camera will not restrict lens aperture in any way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks Tony very helpful exactly what I was hoping too lol. I do think I understand the effect on light now also. I won't say I understand completely since I have yet to (other than the simulators) experiment for myself but definitely much more than before. I can't wait until I have my camera Spring can't come soon enough!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post
Thank you both! Boneappetit I had heard of the program but I was refering to what Tony is talking about.

@Tony That is what I thought but I wasn't 100% since I have been looking at cameras and it mentioning aperture in the specs though now that I think about it those were probably bundled with a lens :P. So if I understand right if I had a low end entry level camera it would not restrict aperture of any lens I might have in the future. Thanks a ton! Also ty for the links going to check them out right away.
oops, sorry hehe...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography