RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Does anyone shoot models with Canon 7D & 5DMII?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Does anyone shoot models with Canon 7D & 5DMII?

Just wanted to know if anyone has experience in both of these camera while shooting models (Portraits or headshots). If the quality that much better on the 5D? Or is it only when printing that the megapixels matter?
I own a 7D and I'm not too satisfied with the details on the face sometimes. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 PM

Re: Does anyone shoot models with Canon 7D & 5DMII

I shot with all 3 cameras 5D, 5D II and 7D. I own a 7D, it focuses better and it is much more versatile than 5D II. On the other hand 7D's dynamic range and ISO performance is no where near 5D2. In studio shots it does not matter that much since most of the shots are done in base ISO. Whereas in a dark studio it is a pain in a** to focus with 5D (both I & II).

If you are having softness on your images it may be related to your lens calibration. I've seen some lenses act strangely with 7D, usually back focusing. Make sure your lens is adjusted properly. Also be careful with focus recompose, if you move camera in its axis you will be out of focus. For sharp photos I suggest:

1. Micro adjust your lens ( http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/micro-...-and-tutorial/ )
2. Choose f8-f16 while shooting (I know people make a big deal of diffraction, in crop cameras diffraction sets in even after 5.6, do tests with your setup, shooting small apertures help to increase DOF and helps with focus errors while shooting full body moving models)
3. Choose single focus point with expansion, focus on the eye lashes, eye or face depending on the shot type
4. Focus recompose properly

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2011, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the response. I think I've been having back focusing issues. Is that when it focuses then suddenly backs off and makes everything out of focus?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2011, 07:17 AM

I have both cameras. I started with the 10D and have stayed with Canon during the duration. I bought the Mark III and sent it back due to focus issues. As I've become more proficient with digital, I've come to understand the softness and difficulty focusing with my gear. For the longest time, I thought it was me, but as I've work with other photographers over the years I've come to believe the gear is a significant part. I've invested only in good glass. The 5DII is definitely better with high ISO...focus is soft, difficult in low light and slow. 7D has a better focus system, but still inconsistent. Both do well in good light using the setup mentioned above. Today, if I had it to do all over, I'd go with Nikon. I'm hoping the next generation of Canon gear will improve their focus system and noise at high ISO, it not, I'll probably convert to Nikon for these reasons mentioned. BTW, I could careless about the video in the camera...I want to take pictures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2011, 07:19 AM

don't buy anything now...a new camera should come out in 2012
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 05:48 PM

I agree. Many of the people I know own 5d MKII, and it is far more suitable for fashion than the 7d. It is certain by now taht the 5d MKIII is coming out this smmer, so you can then decide weather to get a II at a lower price or a brand new model 5d mkIII.

The biggest shortcoming of the 5d is the auto-focusing system, but that's what 1ds mkIII is for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM

I've owned a 7D for the longest time...and recently upgraded to 5D MKII. In my opinion, 5D MKII is a much better option for me since it is full frame and is more rich in color. As others pointed out, 5D also performs better in low light.

http://www.htpixels.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 AM

Full frame is better for shadow .. and details ..

stéfan bourson
http://www.sbourson.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 AM

What lens are you using?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography