RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Oldest photo of Hollywood sign discovered?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 AM

Re: Oldest photo of Hollywood sign discovered?

plugsnpixels, I can't find your horse & wagon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Patron

Nice wind up plugsandpixels

Can imagine that this software will succeed - a new generation of restorers showing how skilful they are in the black arts of bringing images back from the dead
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 AM

You are a good story teller, like C"S" Lewis, who didn't live in a adobe house.
:-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Well I'll be a....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monkeysuncle.jpg (7.4 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 12:55 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Nice wind up plugsandpixels

Can imagine that this software will succeed - a new generation of restorers showing how skilful they are in the black arts of bringing images back from the dead
Yes Tony, I'm convinced the wave of the retouching future is to add your own grunge to a clean image and peel it back again layer by layer to the amazement of the client! It's a fail-safe technique that works every time. Why waste computer time struggling with difficult originals? That's so 1800's.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 03:29 AM

LOL I know a few retouchers who do that already Plugs! Reminds of when I used to work for Quantel who make broadcast/video graphics systems. For fun the R&D engineers made a video of what the screen would display if an editing system was crashing (the monitor display would start by flickering, loads of noise, rolling images etc and generally display all the signs a major system meltdown). At a critical moment such as just before a major demo or sales pitch a newbie engineer would be assigned the task of 'fixing' the problem. They'd naturally panic as their diagnostics yielded nothing helpful by way of 'repair'. Out would come circuit boards and screwdrivers but we'd let them sweat a bit before hitting the video pause button! Another wheeze was to make giant 'cross hair' cursor as a cut out (I mean about 10 times normal size) and the then call the engineer to fix that. The look on their faces as they moved the huge cursor over the screen was priceless. That joke would only work once of course!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Then there is the one about the auto rail car holding several brand new 1947 Chevrolets recently discovered on a side track in an old unused train shed.

Yup, seems that back in 1947 this rail car was part of a trainload of new 1947 Chevys on the way to the dealers. Along the way it developed wheel bearing trouble and was detached and sidetracked till it could be repaired. To keep the cars out of the weather it was parked in the shed. The shed was rarely used, so the rail car was subsequently forgotten. When discovered it was still holding all those brand new 1947 Chevys.

Sorry, no pics available for this story.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
LOL I know a few retouchers who do that already Plugs! Reminds of when I used to work for Quantel who make broadcast/video graphics systems. For fun the R&D engineers made a video of what the screen would display if an editing system was crashing (the monitor display would start by flickering, loads of noise, rolling images etc and generally display all the signs a major system meltdown). At a critical moment such as just before a major demo or sales pitch a newbie engineer would be assigned the task of 'fixing' the problem. They'd naturally panic as their diagnostics yielded nothing helpful by way of 'repair'. Out would come circuit boards and screwdrivers but we'd let them sweat a bit before hitting the video pause button! Another wheeze was to make giant 'cross hair' cursor as a cut out (I mean about 10 times normal size) and the then call the engineer to fix that. The look on their faces as they moved the huge cursor over the screen was priceless. That joke would only work once of course!
That is just so silly .
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Patron

Boys and their toys...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Patron

Well, they never found the horse leg but they recently found these things in the area shown in these images...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography