RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Quality stock photography. Where to sell?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Smile Quality stock photography. Where to sell?

Hi, I've got some arrangements with modeling agencies and make up artists and they're basically letting me own the rights to the photos we make.

I would like to sell sets, but also individual photos?

I don't have a problem with having only one buyer for that set if the price is right.

Now, where should I try to sell these, and what are the rates(what can I get)?

Last edited by skoobey; 02-18-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Patron

Re: Quality stock photography. Where to sell?

Hi Skoobey,

I don't know a lot about stock photography but from what I've seen of it, stock buyers tend to want to show people doing something relevant to what the buyers want to portray (eating lunch, working at a computer, climbing rocks, talking in an office, using their products, wearing their branded clothing, etc.).

I'd imagine the fashion model portfolio shots in stock need to be ready to plop into an advertisement as-is or with some photoshopping. Photos in the style you're shooting, I've seen those in clothing ads in fashion magazines but only for branded clothing ads (Calvin Klein, etc.). But I've never seen a generic ad for, say, a trip to the Bahamas shot in that style.

When looking at your images my question was, who would use these and how? I couldn't think of an answer, personally, unless you wanted to submit your work to a modeling agency. But again, I'm not very familiar with stock photo requirements because I don't do stock photography.

I'd recommend going back through your portfolio and asking yourself:
  • who is your target buyer for this photo?
  • what would they use these images for?
  • try to come up with a real ad concept for each photo
That would be a useful exercise and reality check, and might provide some guidance on what to photograph going forward.

I'd also recommend researching some magazines, websites, etc. in your target market and see what kinds of photos they use and how they use them, then create a portfolio that meets their needs. Also, search for tips on how to shoot for stock and buy a couple of books on the topic written by leading, successful stock photographers.

All the best,

Last edited by RobertAsh; 04-16-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 AM

I was asking more in line If I do a beauty or a fashion story, is there a place to offer those to publishers?

Perhaps stock is the wrong word.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 PM

I think its important to be more clear about your target market before deciding to go to sell even any kind of product.Particularly fashion industry demands this thing more comparatively.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 AM

You can upload them in different stock photography sites like iStock, shutterStock. Good luck anyways.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markele View Post
I think its important to be more clear about your target market before deciding to go to sell even any kind of product.Particularly fashion industry demands this thing more comparatively.
Yeah, exactly. You should know about your niche viewers. After that go for the promotional part.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Skooby,
what you are looking for is a syndicator such as Trunk Archives and The Licensing Project here in NYC. These are basically stock agencies but offer more in the line of beauty and fashion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Skooby,

I wouldn't waste my time trying to sell stock photos today ...

Regards, Filip

-----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography