RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Thinking about diving into medium format

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Question Thinking about diving into medium format

I primarily do fashion and studio work with strobes and have been eyeing the Mamiya RZ67 for a while. I found a good deal on it, but I am wondering if it will be worth it.

I currently shoot with a D300. Will shooting medium format provide enough advantages over digital to make it worthwhile? I would be scanning with an Epson V600.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Re: Thinking about diving into medium format

I would say that images scanned from slides would be still slightly better than digital.

But consider the amount of time you will spend retouching dust & scratches and also the availability of films. Will you be able to buy roll films in the future?

I would buy Nikon D800 instead or similar camera.

Or you can check the possibility to get a digital back for your Mamiya ...

Regards, Filip

-----------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Patron

I think the best thing you could do is to see if you can borrow the camera and put a roll or two of film through it and then scan and look at the results.

I agree with Filip points about retouching, or an expensive digital back or better yet the new D800 when the possible focus issues are resolved. How long will film be available in 120 size?

My guess (and it is only that!) is the quality you will get within the limitations of your scanner at best will be ok but that even the D300 will win overall, unless you can get your film scanned with something like the Hasselblad Flextight (starting price at about £10,000).

The problem is that the true optical resolution of your scanner is far lower than the manufacturers stated resolution for non interpolated images which is around 6400 ppi I believe. The scanner is only likely to achieve a true resolution that equates to around 1500 ppi - you can of course scan much higher than this but you are only adding pixels not actually seeing improvements in the scanners ability to resolve the detail your lens is capable of revealing.

Figures and pixels count are only part of the story and I am sure you will get fine images but as suggested run a couple of rolls of film through and try first
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
My guess (and it is only that!) is the quality you will get within the limitations of your scanner at best will be ok but that even the D300 will win overall, unless you can get your film scanned with something like the Hasselblad Flextight (starting price at about £10,000).

The problem is that the true optical resolution of your scanner is far lower than the manufacturers stated resolution for non interpolated images which is around 6400 ppi I believe. The scanner is only likely to achieve a true resolution that equates to around 1500 ppi - you can of course scan much higher than this but you are only adding pixels not actually seeing improvements in the scanners ability to resolve the detail your lens is capable of revealing.
Good point, Tony ...

Regards, Filip

-----------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2012, 06:27 PM

I would love a D800 but the RZ67 is dirt cheap compared to it. If I had the money to blow on a D800 or a Phase I would've already done that.

Maybe I should wait a few years and see where technology has gone? I love my D300 and it is definitely capable, but there is something about medium format that is so appealing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2012, 12:49 AM

Give it time, both Canon and Nikon are rumored to have entry level FF cameras in the works, which I'll assume will still be 22mp ( for the Canon) and is rumored to be 24mp for the Nikon. Of course, this should really help hold down prices for older FF 35mm DSLRs on the used market too. Granted it's still not MF. . . . .
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 AM

My two penny worth! the real advantage as I see it is that a 6x7 film on a light box looks soooooo much better that a 35mm of the same subject. The larger format really makes it jump out.

But a D300 image, viewed on a 22" monitor will probably look similar to a D800 image viewed on a 22" monitor. But of course, that larger image size will benefit if the final reproduction size is large.

Rex
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography