Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

My ideal pro camera

Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
My ideal pro camera

Here's the specs for the camera I really want.
1. Large imager. Pixel size exceeding 6 microns. Imager size 6cm x 7cm.
2. Interchangeable lenses from 40mm to 35mm. Apertures obviously as wide as possible but keeping to a reasonable price, say f5.6 through f45.
3. Bellows attachment that fits between body and lens for all lenses. Reasonable movements with image circle sufficient to cover imager at maximum shift/tilt.
4. Fully manual control.Mechanical leaf shutter, preferably in lens but could be between lens and imager as long as it syncs flash at all shutter speeds. Don't need electronics to control programs or image processing. RAW only. Pros don't shoot Auto.
5. PC socket for flash - again electronic control of flash isn't required. If you need it, you're not a pro.
6. Cold shoe to mount wireless synch unit.

I think that's about it. By getting rid of all the electronics required for auto picture taking and image processing and sticking to mechanical functions as far as possible, it should be possible to put the money into imager size and quality to produce a camera that is actually useful to professionals at a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Re: My ideal pro camera

I know where you are coming from. One of my favourite cameras is my Pentax 645. Not the auto focus version, just the fully manual. Since it has film inserts (not magazine like the Hasselblad), I feel that Pentax missed the mark by not designing a digital insert. The body has all the camera functions inc. the batteries in the handle.

It would not have taken a rocket scientist to design a digital insert so that each frame frame flicked over as the redundant film advancement cogs whirred around. As the camera already has a large user base, an insert could have been a very cost effective investment. A fully manual camera with digital capture; wonderful!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography