Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Outdoor Beauty Shots

Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Outdoor Beauty Shots

I am in LOVE with these guy's beauty shots

Wondering if any of you expert photographers can help me achieve anything 10% as nice as that. I believe the majority of their beauty shots are taken outdoors and I like the way the beauty shots look sunny by overexposing the background and having a perfectly lit model (I don't think it's natural lighting) and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve a similar look?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Re: Outdoor Beauty Shots

It looks to me like he is putting the model under an overhead silk or a large diffusion umbrella and exposing for the model and that is why the background is overexposed. He is also shooting the model in some cases with backlight so exposing for the model again blows out the background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 AM

as far as I know abt cameras, of course there is use of diffused lights but also there is a sort of trick used during exposer an that is (pardon my poor english):

There is something called light meter (i don't know technical name) which helps u measure the amount of light falling on the subject being shot and the photographer sets his camera according to that reading from light meter. Now in order to over-expose the background what u have to do is measure the lights on model (shadow/dark area) and set camera accordingly.

In simple words focus darkest area on model.. that's it... hope m clear...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 AM

What Wolfman said is probably the most likely. You only need the background to be a couple of stops brighter than your subject for it to basically go white. Those images have also certainly been retouched, so even if in the RAW you can still see some of the sky, by playing with your highlights you can then completely blow it out.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography