RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Switching to speedlights instead of studio lights!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM

Question Switching to speedlights instead of studio lights!

Hey, so Photoshool is over meaning I don't have access to a studio anymore. I'm starting to invest in small, easy to carry (especially in the subway!) equipment for light but I am not very experienced in using speedlights so I am unsure of what exactly I need to make this work.

So far I bought a used Nikon SB-900 from a friend and ordered a 76cm Ezybox (A softbox for speedlights). But else do I need? I suppose I need a lightstand which can easily be transported when one doesn't own a car and can be set high enough for paramound light and is also sturdy enough not to be knocked over by wind when shooting outside? I'm also very confused about the best way to trigger my speedlights when using my Nikon D700. Go wireless? Cables? What do I need other than what I already have in order to make this work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Patron

Re: Switching to speedlights instead of studio lig

Lightstand will be very useful if you cannot get a friend to hold the flash for you. Most lightstands collapse into a portable size but many are not heavy enough on their own to withstand being blown over, so you may need to get creative on site to find something to stabilise the base

I certainly would not consider cable for this type of outside work but would look at wireless options. The ones most often mentioned are PocketWizards but they come at a premium price. There are a few triggers from other companies such as the Cactus, Yongnuo or iShoot may not be of the same quality but should do the job
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2012, 05:15 PM

I've never used pocket Wizards, what do I need exactly? What attaches to the Camera? What attaches to the SB-910? How do I keep it all on the lightstand?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Patron

This may help http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirat...iles/reznicki/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2012, 02:07 PM

Thank you. Does the same thing work with the Pocket Wizard Plus III's? They're cheaper than the Plus II's in my country. Also, any advice on lightstands and on how to attach the Pocketwizard without having it hang loose?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Patron

Perhaps you should consider just starting with a cheap wireless flash trigger rather than pay the additional money for PocketW. Have a look for flash triggers via google and you will see there are many manufacturers. How about this for a very cheap way into wireless flash http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W3IXZW/?tag=nmphotonet-20

You do know that the D700 has a commander mode to allow you to fire a remote Nikon flash (e.g. SB910) without cable using the pop camera flash to trigger the 910? And should you need to prevent the pop up adding any lighting you can get an SG Ir panel which covers the flash http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Panel_for.html

They are all very similar in how they work, the principle being that a wireless transmitter sits in the hot shoe flash mount on your camera and a receiver units is attached to the flash hot shoe or possible the pc sync cord if fitted.

When you press the shutter button the transmitter on the camera hot shoe sends a signal to the receiver fitted to the flashgun and fires of the flash.

The flashgun receiver unit is likely to have both a foot and a screw mount to allow fitting to a lightstand

Last edited by Tony W; 10-21-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM

Well the PW Plus IIIs can be had really cheap here so I'm thinking why not if it is indeed two Plus IIIs that I need?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 AM

I Used Pocketwizards too but after a crash they were pretty expensive to repair so I ordered some triggersets from DSLRkit from Ebay....I have been using them since...very reliable, not so expensive.
I am using them on my studioset as well as my strobistset.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Patron

The Pocketwizard III systems are better, more powerful and less expensive than the Pocketwizard II systems. I definitely recommend them. The built-in Nikon optical trigger system is frustrating to use unless you're shooting portraits in a studio or a small indoor space.

You'll need two of them - one for your D700 and one for your SB900. You'll also need at least one cable to connect the Pocketwizard to the flash unit but that's inexpensive and might even be included with the Pocketwizard.

Even better would be two cables - one to attach one Pocketwizard to the flash unit, and another to attach the other Pocketwizard to your camera. You'll need a solution for a fill light for a multi-light setup.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography