RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Canon vs Nikon Colors

Old 04-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Canon vs Nikon Colors

Hi, I wonder why most fashion/lifestyle photographers uses Canon , I stand before choosing my first ff camera , my choice is the Nikon D750 , but I noticed that the colors of the Canon are like from old school film cameras, more DREAMY look, and nikon more digital cold, is it true? will I be happy with Nikon?

I want to get a similar effect as these photos

http://sam-robinson.com/stills/boomc...se_miami_15-2/

http://sam-robinson.com/stills/new-l...k-london-04-2/

http://sam-robinson.com/stills/new-l...n-roadtrip-02/
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Re: Canon vs Nikon Colors

It doesn't matter if you shoot with Nikon or Canon. Shoot raw and if you want your images to resemble the samples you are showing it's done in editing after your shoot regardless of the camera brand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2015, 01:11 PM

i know but even after the post processing they look a little different
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Patron

The images you linked to have nothing to do with a choice of camera Nikon or Canon but more to do with post processing of the raw data (or for that matter even JPEG).

There is no reason why an image captured from any camera cannot be processed to appear as these examples.

So make your camera choice based on more important issues such as buying into a system and handling characteristics and of course your budget.

You will I am sure be happy with either Nikon or Canon
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
The images you linked to have nothing to do with a choice of camera Nikon or Canon but more to do with post processing of the raw data (or for that matter even JPEG).
Absolutely. There may be differences in the two systems set to produce a JPEG when set to capture the same scene but with raw, the differences are in the processing. Raw data isn’t really a color image anyway, it has to be rendered. The differences in JPEG are akin to the differences picking say Ektachrome versus Fujichrome, the rendering is based on each manufactures ideas of what they think their customers will prefer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2015, 02:52 PM

i love NIkon cameras all the time their giving excellent service for me..
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljozek View Post
i know but even after the post processing they look a little different
Unfortunately it's a lack of skill issue or lack of a well established workflow to meet your goals. Even within a given brand, there may be differences in how signal processing is handled from one model to the next. This doesn't affect what a given photographer wants from their work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2015, 08:43 AM

a shop I worked at once did a comparison test between Nikon and Canon. I won't say which but one did very well with textiles (less moire, better color) and one did better with skin tones. There are bound to be differences because they are different designs. You just need to get ahold of both at one time and do a comparison test of your own.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 AM

I agree that the jpg renditions of photos shot with Canon vs Nikon have very different color qualities. It's true that if your shooting raw you can edit the images to have similar effects but it is disconcerting to see the photo on the back of your camera (jpg) very different from the exact same image on the opposing brand of camera. If it bothers you a lot I would make that a consideration when choosing the camera system. If you already have the camera, it is possible to alter the warmth/coolness of the jpg images to be captured using the menu in the camera. Raw images will not be affected. Another point to be considered is in Lightroom where the images come in set to the Adobe profile. You can chose to use your camera's profiles instead if you are shooting RAW. I've foun that this can make quite a difference in the interpretation of the colors. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 AM

llcooljozek - The photos by Sam Robinson you referred to in you original post were shot with a medium format camera with a Phase One digital back, not a Canon, at least the Miami ones were - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGEd5eolAcg
I suspect the others were also.

I think that underscores what others are saying about the camera not necessarily dertermining the look of the color.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography