Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

We need more photographers

Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM
Re: We need more photographers

May I ask what your forum wants from photographers?

Images to work on / a different perpective / more members.... ??

I am a long term member of several photography forums. Retouching is quite a low priority for many photographers surprisingly. Many pride themselves on 'getting it right in camera' which is quite highly skilled, many just rely on Portrait Professional or similar software. I would like to see more of a cross over to your community though.

Are there any joint enterprises that benefit you and photographic forums that you could offer to the people who run such forums?

- joint competitions or projects (if the photographer takes and donates a photo for a charity, we will help process it or similar)

- learning meetups - you learn photography, we learn retouching issues when taking the photo

- offering to retouch peoples photos - provided that image or other suitable images are then donated to your site for use by the members of your community ?

- mentoring a photographer in retouching one of their own photos?

- try to get your site or some projects mentioned on photography news sites such as DIY Photography or Petapixel

- Approach professional or skilled photographers who run blogs and offer to do some joint posts with them, getting your site referenced and raising both your profile and helping put interesting stuff on the photographers blog.

- Get on some podcasts that are photography based, offer to be interviewed by the photographers that make them, give a few sound tips on how to improve images say or how to identify a good retoucher to hire.

- Lots of wedding photographers now outsource most of the image retouching as its too time consuming. Get some info out there on how they could identify a good retoucher or how they could improve their own workflow.

Hope some of this helps. All of it could draw references to your own site while benefiting the people who run other sites by getting them publicity too.

And there I was today saying as a new member I would be reading, not writing! -)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2016, 02:04 PM

Many years ago (1987), when I was starting out as a photographer, (one of four in a studio first established in 1946), it was understood that to be a true professional we need to shoot, develop, print, and retouch our own work. However, due to the work load most of the retouching was done by non-photographers who sat in a chair all day and worked on prints and negatives.

This separation of responsibilities was considered the normal method of finalizing the product - although we would all chip in when the print load became too heavy for the full time retouchers to handle.

That process seemed to be the standard for other studios in the area.

Today, I would assume that method still holds sway in most large studios.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2016, 09:28 AM

This is what i think....

The forum need a better SEO optimization, of course need to be included the right keys to attract photographers...

Ex. this is the H1 (heading) present now "Welcome to RetouchPRO, the web community for retouchers" maybe Photographers has to be included.

I think a photographer not expert in retouch search something like "photography retouch" or "photography problem"

No H2 present on the site.... the head where describe the sub arguments of the forum

No meta description tag... where we can describe the forum with the right keys to attract also photographers

No social media present connected and linked to the forum ex. Facebook like button or Google+ button

(sorry for my bad english)

Last edited by flowbox; 02-27-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2016, 12:35 PM

Agree...I'm at Lula at least twice a week...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2016, 11:29 AM

I'm a photographer and I've mentioned this site a lot to friends.
I don't think of my editing as 'retouching' and my editing doesn't necessarily have the same obvious end point as the typical retouching.
When I have a problem it is invariably masking on ill-defined edges or changing skin colors; I will come back here to look for some help in what already has been done.
Although I'm experienced, my abilities pale behind what I see and I hesitate to bring my trivial problems to such an experienced audience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM

I have been a brick and mortar professional photographer for about 40 years (formally started in 1972). One of my very first photo mentors was Ansel Adams himself, I was a friend and student of the late Dean Collins, many pros admit the father of lighting techniques we now use for everything. On the digital retouching side of things I have been using Photoshop since version 1.0 and I was on the international secret pre beta test and consultant team for Ps CS6 and CC. So I try to stay very current on everything photography. IT also limits my time to be on this forum.

BUT I will disagree with many here stating that "retouching" is a torn in the side of photographers or that it does not go hand in hand with photography.. IMHO its all one thing these days and Retouching has never ben more important than it is currently.

I have gained many ideas can concepts from this forum and its live programs. There was a few rusty times when internet connectivity made following programs but otherwise there has been so much valuable material shared in this forum.

This program has opened my eyes to several folks Steve Caplin is one of these folks and as an aside made me buy his books. There have been many others as well.

I think we need to find a way to incorporate more photogs in this group and possibly push more image sharing.

I intend to stick around in a more routine fashion and thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 AM

I am going to do a formal post for my introduction later today, but thought this is so interesting and wanted to say this. Is is possible that there is a reputation as far as those who are considering themselves purists? Like they don't even join these forums because they think all we talk about is altering an image or images to be really fake and phony? I for one will promote this site as a great resource for sharing knowledge. One of the ways I will do this is by creating blog posts here. With the vast array of tools and social networking available to those on the internet, we can collectively get this message out! ; )
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2016, 12:52 PM

As for me, I don't care about making someone prettier or more handsome. I want to know techniques to make my photographs look the way I want them to.

I specifically want to get better at fine selections, selections on ambiguous edges and using blending modes.

I imagine that these are crucial skills for retouchers and I want to repurpose them for what I do.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography