RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

We need more photographers

Old 04-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Janitor

We need more photographers

Maybe it's the name, but for some reason retouchpro.com has never caught on with the photographer community. I know many people will spend hours working on an image in Photoshop, yet still not consider it "retouching".

What changes would you recommend to make RP more hospitable to photographers? Particularly pros.

Or is it simply a case of PR?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2015, 01:16 PM

Re: We need more photographers

They just need to know you're around. Go over to Luminous Landscape and post an open invite. Lula currently has more than 1.1 million unique readers each month; 3.5 million page views from some 50,000 people a day. Not too shabby.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Janitor

Many, many years ago, when I was still young and rude, I used to post invites in other people's forums. To this day most of my posts get deleted in OPF (Other People's Forums), even if I'm just trying to be helpful. I'm still banned from a couple.

But if some volunteers were willing to help invite...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2015, 01:31 PM

I seriously doubt that will happen over on LuLa. You have to yell fire in a crowed theater there to get a post locked, there is never a post deleted. Michael and Kevin are just not that kind of hosts. Coming directly from you, the host of this site would carry more weight. And of course, how you ask invite is important.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Janitor

I know it's weak tea, but I've added some prefixes to use when posting new threads to this subforum. They can help navigate, and might even spur some posting ideas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
They just need to know you're around. Go over to Luminous Landscape and post an open invite. Lula currently has more than 1.1 million unique readers each month; 3.5 million page views from some 50,000 people a day. Not too shabby.
I am somehow reminded of the old Rob Galbraith forums before they were sold and subsequently run into the ground.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Hi gang! I am a photographer and new to your site/forum. I do a lot of artistic retouching using some of my own techniques and am always willing to learn how things are done in the pro world.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2015, 03:40 AM

From my experience I have seen the forums which include the word photography in their name attract more photographers than the other general forums which just have a category named as photography!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Well, i spent long time on photography forums but i keep going to or coming here and retouching sites, because i see that retouching is part of the whole picture, i retouch all my photos, but if i use another word then i can say i edit or pp my photos even the best ones, so i don't ignore how retouch can be handy and even better than normal photography is.

Well, i am a photographer and i am not good at retouching, i spend hours to retouch very simple and easy tools, so i may spend days on one picture if i want deep extreme retouch that will bring the best of any photo, so i decided that i don't want to waste my time on retouch as i don't have time for photography itself and due to my life situations, so what i can do here is the following:

- Posting my best photo that need to be retouched and see what you can do about it

- I will send RAW files if that is necessary for highest quality

- Show my before image and your after retouch result here and link it to another photography forums or site, maybe this will make more photographers feel that they like to have their works retouched as well, just don't be so strict and ask for money/payment yet, first attract more then later some big names may be interested in here or some who are willing to pay.

I will do my best in the photography side, then you do your best in your retouching side and this cooperation may lead to better success to increase photographers in this site, because if i feel that my photos are taken care of here and processed to its best then i may like to spend time here than another photography sites where my photos are lost within billions of photos that are way better than my work.

Thank about it and let me know, if you have any suggestions just fire it, my only help is on photography side, so hope this can be something to start with if possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2015, 11:34 AM

I’m a photographer and have learned tons from Retouch Pro, mostly by searching and reading. I come to the site when I have a problem with an image, or when I feel the need for more understanding in image developing, the extended use of light, tone and texture, etc.
As to the question, “why don’t we have more photographers??” There are probably several answers as there always are to most questions, but in this case it may be that photographers in general tend avoid words like Retouch like the plague.
Perhaps if the site were known as Photo Editing Pro or Retouch Pro and Editing, or something like that it might entice more photographers.
Yep. I think like Doug Nelson said, it just the name. This site is a treasure trove of knowledge for photographers.
gladesman
Wayne Willison
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography