RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Trouble blurring selection

Old 11-08-2005, 08:15 AM

Trouble blurring selection

Maybe I just forgot how to do this (I used to be able to), but I can't select a section of a photo (the background) and blur it. I thought I used to be able to simply select the area with the magnetic lasso and then blur it. Now when I try this, I get the error message "No pixels selected."

I've also tried this creating a new layer first, but then it says I can't use filters on a layer.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm doing wrong, but it's driving me nuts and I'd appreciate the help.

(I'm using Elements 2)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 08:56 AM

Cool Blurring selection...

Be careful about what layer you have active when you are making your selection, also if the layer you're on is empty you wont be able to apply a filter to it. I use CS, but I'm sure it can't be that different.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Well, that's odd. I was just going through the steps to make sure I was doing what you said and it wasn't working. Then I tried NOT creating a layer first and just using a selection tool to select the background. Then I applied the Gaussian Blur filter and it worked! It just blurred the selected portion. That works, but I still would prefer selecting and blurring a layer.

I just tried using Layer > Duplicate layer and then applying the filter . . . and it worked again! Is that the trick--it needs to be a duplicate layer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 AM

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you were trying to select from the background layer and then make a new (empty) layer and were trying to apply a blur-(to nothing). Do you want to copy what your blurring? Have you tried to copy and paste the selection and then apply the blur to the pasted layer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 09:58 AM

That's it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 AM

I'm glad to be able to help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 10:14 AM

Yes, when you are working on an adjustment layer or an empty layer, your selection will not take effect. After you make your selection (have the marching ants), click on a layer that has the image in the thumbnail and then you can proceed.

In Elements 2 your best procedure is to duplicate the background layer, make your selection and do your blurring.

Also in Elements 2, on your duplicate background, make your selection, and do Cntrl+C, then Cntrl+V. Your selection is pasted on a new layer without having to first create the empty layer. (Later versions of Elements don't work as well with the Cntrl+V.)

Another way to create the layer with your copied selection is to go to Layer > New > From copy.

Value of having your blurred selection on its own layer is capacity to turn off the visibility of the layer, go back and make further adjustments or delete it if necessary.

I use Elements 2 & 4. And welcome to RetouchPro!

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help