RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

SIZING AND RESOLUTION for printing

Old 01-02-2006, 09:19 PM

SIZING AND RESOLUTION for printing

New to elements 3 and have a question. My photographs come off my camera as 11.375" X 17.067" Res. 180. If I want to get 4X6" prints do I resize them to 4X6" before I send files out for printing (photographic paper). What about the resolution? What do you recommend as the max resolution for 4X6, 5X7, or 8X10" If I want multiple sizes of same photo, do I have to save in all the sizes I want as separate files? I like the idea of shooting at a high resolution in case I want to enlarge a print.

Also, is it better to send as a JPEG file or in the PSD that I have saved in Photoshop elements. Should It be flattened before I send it.

I have two books about Elements 3 and haven't found clear answers to these questions in them.
Thanks, Karen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 11:15 PM

The "size" of a digital image is sort of meaningless. If your camera states a specific size in inches, that doesn't change the fact that you have only 1200 x 1600 pixels, for example.

It all comes down to how many pixels you have. To print a decent photo, you will need at least 150 - 200 pixels per inch. So if you want to print an 8x10, you would need at least 1600x2000 pixels. You mentioned 11.375" X 17.067" Res. 180. I'm thinking this means you have 180 pixels per inch, or 2048x3072 pixels total. Your camera (or the software) is probably suggesting that 180ppi is a reasonable minimum, and would give you a decent 11x17 print.

Stand bye for more replies from others.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karwag
New to elements 3 and have a question. My photographs come off my camera as 11.375" X 17.067" Res. 180. If I want to get 4X6" prints do I resize them to 4X6" before I send files out for printing (photographic paper). What about the resolution? What do you recommend as the max resolution for 4X6, 5X7, or 8X10" If I want multiple sizes of same photo, do I have to save in all the sizes I want as separate files? I like the idea of shooting at a high resolution in case I want to enlarge a print.

Also, is it better to send as a JPEG file or in the PSD that I have saved in Photoshop elements. Should It be flattened before I send it.

I have two books about Elements 3 and haven't found clear answers to these questions in them.
Thanks, Karen
As a "ballpark" rule of thumb, you'll need in the range of 240-300 ppi for an 8x10 print. Based on the info you provided, images out of the camera are ~ 2048 pxl X 3072 pxl or ~ 8.5" X 11" at 240 ppi.

Note that 4X6, 5X7 and 8X10 are not multiples, like, say, 4x6 would be to 8x12. So, if you started with your 8x10 at 240 ppi, the 5x7 and 4x6 could result from cropping the 8x10.

Depending on the site, you might be able to upload the 8x10 three times, once for each size and then use a website provided tool to crop the last two. Or, you may need to do all the cropping yourself before upload. It will depend on the online print service. Each has its own way of doing things.

re: .psd or .jpg?
It depends. Of the few online printers I have used, all have taken .jpg or .tif; none took .psd.

FWIW: If you were printing, say, a magazine or flyer, then a commercial printer would most likely prefer layered .tif files in CMYK format, but for prints, an RGB .jpg (flat by default) should be fine.

"On the ball" online print service will have file format info like this under "Help" or "FAQ" or will have a "support" e-mail address for getting clarification.

Hope this helps get you moving.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 01:14 PM

Dear Danny & Ken,
I think you have helped clear up some of the mystery. It seems like to outfit printing will determine how I submit my photos! Thanks for your help. Karen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 06:00 AM

300ppi is the best 1:1 resolution you can get for photos, 600ppi for line art, text etc. Change your image size with out resampling and you will see your resolution change, or change the resolution and watch the size change. I have been told by printers to provide TIF files for print they hold the color information specifically profiles if used, correctly. I don't think it needs to be layered TIF though have not provided a layered one before.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help