RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

actions for elements 4

Old 04-03-2006, 12:19 PM

Question actions for elements 4

I have just changed over from PaintShop Pro X too PhotoShop Elements 4. At this point I'm not very impressed!!
PhotoShop seems to be much more complicated, and has less options to work with. Why everyone seems to be useing PhotoShop instead of PaintShop Pro is beyond me. But, it seems that if one wants to be politically correct, he must use PhotoShop.
So, I would like to know if Saving your actions/scripts as is possible in PaintShop Pro is possible in PhotoShop Elements 4?
I have seen some things that suggest thats possible, However, it seems to be a pain in the A&&. Saving Scripts was a snap in PaintShop Pro, I can not believe that PhotoShop Elements 4 would not implement this ability. Or do they just want your money, and you have to buy the $700.00 version in order to have this capability? I have searched this forum for info on this subject, but there seems to be no decisive answer to this question.
I would truly be thankful to anyone who can help me with this problem. Basically I just want to save Scripts to add simple boarders, and maybe frames instead of trying to remember 8 steps (layers,punchouts,new layer,deselect..etc..) to do so.
Thanks much
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 12:52 PM

Don't confuse PhotoShop with PhotoShop Elements.

They are very different animals:

PhotoShop Elements is an entry level photo editing and digital asset organizing tool.

PhotoShop ( currently in release CS2) is, by anyone's standards, the "de facto" standard for image editing.

From an image editing perspective, PaintShop is much closer to the capabilities of PhotoShop CS2 than PhotoShop Elements 4 is.

When users mention that they are using PhotoShop, they mean, in 99% of the cases, that they are using PhotoShop 7, CS or CS2 and not PhotoShop Elements.

Did I confuse you? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskazoro
I have just changed over from PaintShop Pro X too PhotoShop Elements 4. At this point I'm not very impressed!!
Thanks much

Last edited by Frank Lopes; 04-03-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 01:24 PM

not

Not confused at all...thats why I said Photoshop Elements 4 in describing all issues. Paintshop Pro X cost the same, and has the same abilities, plus more, than PhotoShop Elements 4!
It's also much easier to work with. But, regaurdless, as I stated, In order to fit in, one must use PhotoShop Elements 4...or CS2 the whole shabang. So, I'm just trying to figure out how to do the things I was able to do with PaintshoPro X, with PhotoShop Elements 4. whew.....all in one breath!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 11:39 AM

I guess no one has any helpful knowledge here...........
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 PM

Is there a specific question that you would like an answer for?

I'll try to help.

Quote:
I guess no one has any helpful knowledge here...........
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 01:05 PM

i think this is what he's looking for:
Quote:
So, I would like to know if Saving your actions/scripts as is possible in PaintShop Pro is possible in PhotoShop Elements 4?
i have elements 4, but like you, i found it pretty crippled. so, i mostly use psp 10 and really dont know the answer to your question.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I would like to know if Saving your actions/scripts as is possible in PaintShop Pro is possible in PhotoShop Elements 4?
You cannot save an action directly, no. In order to ave actions you have to use Photoshop (well, "have to" is a little strong...I have found a way to save actions, but it is only for people who are insane).

That said, you can run actions:
http://www.hiddenelements.com/actions_whitepaper.html

And there are helpful books and tools that can bring you much closer to working in a Photoshop-like environment. My new tool set for Elements 4 sports 100 tools for Elements users, restoring things like Channel Mixer, Color Balance, Guides, Snapshots, and there are work-arounds for Curves, CMYK, and many many other things.

The tools:
http://hiddenelements.com/hidden_power_4_tools/

The Elements 4 book (it includes the tools on the CD):
http://aps8.com/hppe4.html

That is perhaps not the exact response you were looking for, but hopefully it answers your questions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Basically I just want to save Scripts to add simple boarders, and maybe frames instead of trying to remember 8 steps (layers,punchouts,new layer,deselect..etc..) to do so.
I also have some free frame downloads:
http://hiddenelements.com/downloads.html
On top of that, if you would like to give me a description of the actions you need, I would be glad to make a custom set--if they seem like useful actions that I can then offer from my website.
Let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 09:51 PM

Does your stuff actually give you a real curves or channel mixer adjustment layer? How about raster masks? Layer groups?

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Does your stuff actually give you a real curves or channel mixer adjustment layer? How about raster masks? Layer groups?
In Elements 3 you get real curves, but they are monochromatic. The problem is solved, however, because you can separate channels out using my RGB separations tools. In Elements 4, the curves are presets: real curves, but uneditable. I do have an editable solution for Elements 4, but users will be applying Gradient Maps (you achieve the same results as with curves).

Channel Mixer is handled in Elements 4 using a layer setup that is automated by my tools. There are distinct advantages to this in that the flexibility is far greater, and you will find them far more intuitive after just a few tries. It isn't dialog based, no, but that is not a disadvantage. Elements 3 has Channel Mixer.

By 'raster masks' do you mean path-based masking? If so, there are ways of doing this, but you will not do it the same way that you do in Photoshop.

I have not been able to provide layer groups. I would be interested in what you are trying to do with them, however.

I think it is wrong to look at Elements and wonder if it is exactly the same as Photoshop. It is a different program and may require that you work differently in it. However, I do believe you can achieve the same results, and that you can learn a lot by working in Elements about fundamentals. I can say that developing my techniques for Elements has actually changed the way that I work in Photoshop for the better. I can also say that with my tools, my results are the same in either.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help