RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Applying a layer mask to an image in elements 4.0

Old 06-26-2006, 08:09 PM

Applying a layer mask to an image in elements 4.0

Hi all can anyone explain to me how to apply a layer mask to an image in photoshop elements 4.0 what I'm trying to do is clear up a picture thanks for your help
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisagame
Hi all can anyone explain to me how to apply a layer mask to an image in photoshop elements 4.0 what I'm trying to do is clear up a picture thanks for your help
It seems to me that PSE4 has no layer masks at all. You can process layer's transparency only.
If you want to "mask" image data, you have to create layer from background (for example), select image object and press "Del" button. Then deselect image.
Or you can use masking plugins, for example - Background Remover
Download demo version
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2006, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisagame
It seems to me, that PSE4 has no mask layers at all. You can process transparency only. If you want to "mask" image object you have to create layer, select object and precc "Del" button . Or use masking plugg-in, for example - Background Remover
Download demo version of Background Remover
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2006, 05:26 AM
Janitor

Elements doesn't have layer masks for image layers (it does have them for adjustment layers), but you can use clipping masks to do exactly the same thing. Put a blank layer under your image layer and move the mouse cursor between the two layers in the layers stack. Hold the Alt key and if the cursor is right on the dividing line you should see it change to a black grouping cursor. Click once and you'll see your image layer is slightly indented with a little arrow icon pointing down to the layer it is now clipped to. Your image will also seem to disappear. With the blank layer active, paint on it with any color of brush and you'll see your image reappear wherever you paint. Use the eraser if you change your mind and want to remask an area.

If you use any adjustment layer (levels works great) with no change in settings as the bottom layer instead of a blank image layer, the masking behavior will act just as in Photoshop (black blocks, white reveals), only with the layer mask on the lower layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2006, 08:40 PM

Thanks guys

Thanks guys I shall try this I'm new to this stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2006, 07:17 AM

send me an email, I'll send you layer masks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2006, 06:09 AM

You took too long! i actually had time to get a free set of tools up on my website meanwhile, so you can download them from there:

http://hiddenelements.com

click the Photoshop Elements 4 link, then downloads& tools
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2006, 01:41 PM

Re: Applying a layer mask to an image in elements 4.0

thank you very much
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 AM

My first post here!
Hello to all. I was also ready to suggest the clipping layers group as a substitute for layers masks, and strongly advise Richard's Lynch power tools. This is included in the free tools sets for PSE5, a wonderful gift. Using clipping layers groups is not very intuitive, but understanding it may be very useful.

Michel B
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2007, 05:47 AM

Just think of clipping groups as cookie cutters...or maybe a canvas that you can paint in. The bottom layer in the group holds up the content of any layer stacked with it based on the solid parts of that bottom layer. I find them terrible intuitive for some things. For example, if you make a correction and then want to color correct just that correction, the natural non-destructive thing to do is make a clipping layer.

Layer Masks are good for free-hand adjustments as masks...I'll be introducing a new, invisible (in Elements), range-based masking using Blend if (a Photoshop feature that can be used in Elements with my newest tools), so you can target highlights, shadows, midtones with varying levels of intensity, and still use layer masks and clipping to fine tune your adjustments.

More on that soon!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help