RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

A New Boy would like some help.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:20 AM

Question A New Boy would like some help.

Hi to All as I am a new fella an 80 year old and I have just got hold of
Elements 4 (and 2 came with it too) and I load a photo I have taken and wonder what I should do next! I am in Australia and cannot buy stuff books etc on the Net so whether I can buy them here I do not know. What I am asking is what should I think of a book to try and learn, any titles here? I am thinking that some kind person could tell me how to go about working on a photo and the right way to go about it. What should one do first, ie there a procedure to follow. All I have been able to find which works is Enhance -
Shadow Highlights which does lighten shadows etc, what else can be used like this element, very hard to understand this Elements 4 and I have not loaded Elements 2 as I thought the upgrade would be better to use. I am very glad I have found this helpful place and I sure do hope someone can guide me a bit along the way.
With many thanks I am Roy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 12:12 PM

Re: A New Boy would like some help.

Hi Royo,
welcome to the forum. I am also an Aussie and I use elements 4.
The best advice I can give you is to do as many tutorials as you can find,from this site and also others on the Net that you can find through doing a google search...(photshop elements4 tutorials). Tutorials from other elements versions will also be helpful. General photoshop tutes are good too but remember that elements isn't able to do some things that it's big brother can do.
Practice lots and take the advice of the very knowledgable people here and you'll soon work your way through the program.
Have fun with it, and may I say it's great to see a mature person getting into technology!
Have a great day
Vicki.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 PM

Hi, Roy, I admit to being 70+ and also just got started at restoring old photos. Elements is not my program, I use PSP. So cannot offer any advice just welcome to this wonderful group. I am still learning my way around. Have not figures out how to post images yet. Hugs, Robsmom
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM

Hi Roy! Here's a link to click on that will give you beginner Photoshop Elements tutorials...... I love tutorials and have about 3 years worth stacked beside me at my computer..... it's so good to have you here!

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pse...p_Elements.htm

oxoxo
Beth

I read over your post and thought I'd get a little more specific instead of just giving you a link:

1. The first thing I do is make sure the resolution of a photo is adequate (at least 300dpi) in Photoshop CS2 you go up to the menu bar to: Image > Image Size if it isn't at least that, I'd try my best to work on it but 300+ is easier.

2. Do a Ctrl + J on your keyboard to duplicate your background layer (always work on a duplicate layer in case you goof up....

3. Look to see if the photo is bright enough or too bright - Image > Adjustments > Levels and play with moving the arrows on the top slider.... click OK when you like what you see...

4. Does your photo have any color issues....... orange cast, etc.

I just thought about something...... I'll probably forget something here so I bet that since you're wanting information on 'what to do next' you'll come closer to getting that by doing a Google search on something like 'workflow for photo retouching using Photoshop Elements'...... the word 'workflow' is key here, I think.....

I just caught myself forgetting things when I began to type these steps and figured I'd forget something important.....

Last edited by solitear; 12-18-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 04:14 PM

Hi Roy welcome to RetouchPRO. I have been using Elements 2 for the past three years and still find new things it can do. It takes a good while to begin to get your hands around this program but its worth the time. Go to the Tutorial section on this web site for great help and links to tutorials elsewhere on the web. The best way to learn is to just play, experiment and have fun. An author I like has two books that probably will fit well with a beginner. Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0: A Visual Introduction to Digital Imaging & Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 A to Z ....by Philip Andrews . Always use Layers duplicate layer to make your adjustments on the duplicate without messing up the original. And Levels / Contrast & Brightness will be an often used basic adjustment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 04:31 PM

Hidden Power for Elements 4 is a pretty good book ( http://aps8.com/hppe4.html ). I know the author ;-). It has a more complete approach to the beginning to end process of working with images.

Really you want to have a workflow in place:

1. Calibrate and create ICC profiles
2. Set up color management
3. Evaluate your images
4. Correct color
5. Make image repairs
6. Enhance composition
7. Make test prints
8. Evaluate and solidify workflow

Those are the steps from my online course for betterphoto.com which are based on the book. The courses help you solidify the workflow, and discuss all the 8 steps in detail:
http://www.betterphoto.com/photocourses/RIC01.asp

But that serves as a rough outline of what you'll want to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 04:43 PM

Hi Roy,here is another great link for Photoshop Elements info,tutorials etc.

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2006, 11:59 PM

Red face Re: A New Boy would like some help.

Well I have just managed to get on after trouble with my modem but seems OK now, I must say I was pretty amazed at all the help that was waiting here for me! Thanks to All who have put in a word of advice it is really appreachiated, when I brought this Elements 4 I did not really know how advanced it was and as for Photoshop itself wow would take years Ha. I certainly will take all the good advice given. I have the good magazine called
'Digital Photography and Design' now ordered and from our library and it gives
samples of work to do on thier usage, hard to follow though as it talks as if one knows all the trick etc! I was trying to find out the sequence of things
and read in one issue to use Levels then colour balance for any colour cast,
hue/saturation and then finish with unsharp mask, so will try that too. When I look at my photos I can only really see some are a bit dark in shadow areas and have used the 'Shadow Hghlights' some of the darker areas have to be careful though else it lightens All. I am really thrilled that at last I have found this forum to give me hekp. I would like to thank All Vicki, Robsmom,Solitear,
JimJam, Nybob for another link to try and lastly Richard Lynch who I know from what I have read writes about Photoshop itself and Elements etc, many thanks to you All it is nice to meet you all, kind regards Roy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 AM

Smile Re: A New Boy would like some help.

up
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2006, 10:41 PM

Cool Re: A New Boy would like some help.

Two things I am hoping you fellas will help me on as I cannot find out, one is how does one work out whatthe DPI of a photo is, my camera takes photos in a size of 2816 x 2112 what it is I do not know, that is what it takes photos at at the best setting and I print them in 6 x 4 and in 5 x 7inches. The other thing I cannot find is the Colour Balance, what is it called in Elements 4, what is the bamr used as there is no 'Colour Balance' written in anywhere sure is a bit confusing. Any help welcome, kind regards Roy.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help