Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Photoshop Elements Batch processing: Save for Web

Old 06-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Re: Photoshop Elements Batch processing: Save for Web

Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch View Post
Can I ask what is being attempted in Save for Web? It may be that this can be accomplished in another way that is supported by batching in Elements.
Richard, that is exactly what I wanted to know (see above)...

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:49 AM

If I understand correctly, what you want to do is batch process this huge stack of photos and render them web-usable without further ado.

Is that correct?

Okay, using Photoshop Elements, you need to start by creating an action...which Photoshop Elements cannot do, but full Photoshop can. Then you can copy the .atn (action) file you make in Photoshop to Elements and begin running a "Save As" command.

You're going to need access to full Photoshop, and create the action you want (in this case a simple "Save As" command). If I might offer you some advice, you might want to begin this action as a more productive exercise e.g. by making the first step a crop at 750x500 pixels @ 72 dpi, as this will set the resolution and size immediately and facilitate the rest of the action.

I always put a stroke around my photographs, then a canvas, and lastly a text layer with the copyright symbol and my name. It's kind of my own "look" for anything I post to the web (and I post a lot to a photo forum).

You might want to add all those extra steps to your action, as long as you're making one, and get all the stuff you like to do accomplished in one gulp.

In Photoshop you can designate an "F" key at the top of your keyboard to run the action. I'd suggest F2 as it's easily accessible by your left hand. When you touch that F2 key henceforth, it will run your action.

Now, you've got the action created in full Photoshop, saved it (which creates a .atn file that you've got to navigate to and copy) and are ready to move it to your own computer where you are running Elements.

If you don't have an "Effects" folder, you'll need to create one to store your new action. The best tutorial I've seen on doing this is at Hidden Elements:

Now you've got the action into Elements and all you have to do is hit F2 to run it over and over and over and over....

Unfortunatley, there's no "Batch Process" in Elements other than the ones listed: auto levels, sharpening, resize etc.

But it's better than having to sit and work for a minute or two doing the action manually on each and every picture!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2007, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I bit the bullet and went for Photoshop 9.0 CS and the macros you can record as action and batch process make my job much easier.

Good idea on the canvas and watermark.

The sizes of my pictures are not proportionally consistent and have been cropped throughout the years, so I am not sure if batch processing them to certain dimensions would be a good idea.

If I could do it without losing the quality and without cropping that would be wonderful, but probably impossible.

Cheers for the suggestions,

DiMM the WitteD
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help