RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Photoshop Elements Batch processing: Save for Web

Old 04-03-2007, 12:01 PM

Photoshop Elements Batch processing: Save for Web

Hello I am trying to batch process the save for web function in either Elements 2 or 3.

I go to file Batch process:
but it only lets me convert the image size in dimensions.

I get much better results when I use the

Save for Web command.

I just have over 4,000 images to do at work and I can't figure out how to batch process the procedure, WITH the Save for Web feature.

I have read all the helps, but can't find a way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and save me
countless hours at work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Re: Batch processing Save for Web

I don't use Elements, so I'm not sure what capabilities it has. In Photoshop you first write an "Action" to do your process then either create a droplett or run the script under the "Batch" command in the File dropdown menu.

With 4000 or so files, running a batch may not give you the results you expect unless all the photos are of the same size, resolution etc. There could be so many variables with that many files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 PM

I don't want to change the dimensions or the resolution I only want to employ the save for web feature.

What it does I am not entirely sure, but batch processing the size/res. did not have similiar results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2007, 02:08 PM

It can be done in PS, but I don't use Elements, so I can't say for sure.

In PS, Have a folder for your originals, and an empty folder to receive your saved files.

Open one file, create the action. Delete the resulting saved file in your Receiving folder then Launch the Batch Actions from the file menu. Set up your source and receive folders. Run the action.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Re: Photoshop Elements Batch processing: Save for Web

I retitled and moved your thread to the PSE Q/A forum where it will get more visibility.

FWIW: Save for Web under Photoshop is a real weird duck when it comes to batch processing. I would not be surprised if it exhibits non-conformist behavior in PSE as well.

Hope you get this sorted out.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 03:20 PM

You have to remember that Save for Web... is an export and not a "save". I use Batch Actions just about everyday. Also remember that your computer would pretty much crash opening 4000 images and executing a process at one time, so instead, do them consecutively. Here is how I do it:

-sort my images into a folder
-open Photoshop, then open first image in the folder
-open Actions window
-start recording action
--IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE>....
--FILE>SAVE FOR WEB... (I put all sized images in different folder)
--FILE>CLOSE (do NOT save)
-stop recording

-FILE>AUTOMATE>BATCH...
-choose the action you just recorded
-choose FOLDER and then choose the folder you want to resize

I dont have to set a destination because my export and close are in the action.

-Click OK and it doesnt matter if you replace the first file because you used it to make the action, so is essentially the same file. I usually click REPLACE though.

_________

What you end up with is using export and close inside the action itself, as opposed to trying to save/close with the Batch window. This greatly improves Photoshop performance. I would further seperate your 4000 files into maybe every 100 or so, just in case you boo-boo... speaking of which, always backup your files before doing any kind of batch actions. One thing about using Save For Web... / Export in your action is that you really have to create a new action everytime you want to save to a different folder... basically meaning, dont save and reuse the action.

Also, here is a really cheesy watermark tutorial I made for some local guys that I used the same Save For Web... and Close inside an action then reused it. Take a gander through this as it may help you visualize what to do with the Batch Action: http://www.krautfed.com/tutorials/wa...watermark.html

I hope this helps. Im new to this forum, so I'm not sure of how everyone takes newcomers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrautFed View Post
Im new to this forum, so I'm not sure of how everyone takes newcomers.
We welcome newcomers, especially when they are as knowledgeable about actions, batch processing and producing quality video tutorials like you obviously are.

Looks like you may have not have noticed that the original poster is working in Elements, so he may not be able to apply your excellent advice. But this is a treasure trove for PS users.

Food for thought...

The method you describe works fine as long as all images are of the same orientation or logo placement is at image center making orientation a non-issue. Placement of the text layer is based on relative H and V values [percents], not physical measurements, so placement is not the same on landscape and portrait images.

If you modify your action as follows, text placement will be consistent regardless of image orientation or physical dimensions:
* create text layer
* apply layer style as needed
* Select > All
* Layer > Align to selection > right edges
* Layer > Align to selection > bottom edges
* Select > None
[choose Move tool and drag text to desired position]
* Select > All
STOP

Notes
* The Set command positioins the text relative to the bottom right hand corner, regardless of image dimensions or orientation.
* The final Select > All can be deleted. It's purpose is to force the recording of the preceding Set command.
* In a perfect world one would be able to automatically scale text size in proportion to image height using actions, but I have yet to find a way to do that -- and believe me, I've tried. I had moderate success doing text size scaling within a JavaScript, but that's a different story for a different day.

In any event, thanks for jumping in and contributing a substantial chunk of useful advice. Hope we'll be seeing more of you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow_dimm View Post
I don't want to change the dimensions or the resolution I only want to employ the save for web feature.
That is what the Save for Web feature is normally being used for, changing resolution and pixel dimensions.
Please let us know what you are trying to accomplish.
You cannot write any actions in Elements and Save for Web is not something that can be run in batch. Similar results, apart from not stripping the EXIF data, can be gotten, though. It really depends on what you are after.

Juergen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael View Post
We welcome newcomers, especially when they are as knowledgeable about actions, batch processing and producing quality video tutorials like you obviously are.

Looks like you may have not have noticed that the original poster is working in Elements, so he may not be able to apply your excellent advice. But this is a treasure trove for PS users.

In any event, thanks for jumping in and contributing a substantial chunk of useful advice. Hope we'll be seeing more of you.
I do appologize, I didnt realize this was the Elements forums. This was an old tutorial and I have since started using the positioning you described, but I really don't do watermarks that aren't centered anymore. I will definitely change my workflow.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, now to find my way to the CS2 portions of this forum.

EDIT: Just to further expand on Jeurgens post. "JPEG" in itself is a compression format with algorithms. Save For Web... really just enhances the compression of the given format (we're talking JPEG here). Many variables are included in the JPEG algorithm that include sharpness detail, saturation, contrast, etc. Obviously, the lower and lower amounts of these, the smaller the algorithm and file size, which is what "quality" setting is in the dialog. File wise, JPEG are known as "compound documents" where they are made of of smaller parts. They come with a bunch of extra crap on the side... metadata, EXIF, XMP, etc etc. Some of this, most notibly EXIF, is stripped down in Save For Web... All this makes for a smaller file size made for easier transport across the internet, email, etc.

Last edited by KrautFed; 06-01-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Can I ask what is being attempted in Save for Web? It may be that this can be accomplished in another way that is supported by batching in Elements.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help