RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Actions in Elements 5 ?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:51 AM

Question Actions in Elements 5 ?

I am familiar with writing scripts in PSP. Is it possible to write scripts for actions in elements 5?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 AM

Re: Actions in Elements 5 ?

No. Actions can only be written (and modified) in Photoshop.

In many cases Elements can "play" actions, as long as they meet Elements' standards. IOW not all actions will work on Elements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM

I have not met an action that I can't get to run in Elements.

Scripts, however, are a different thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch View Post
Scripts, however, are a different thing.
Aren't "scripts" in PSP closer in terms of functionaliy/capabilities to actions than scripting? I was assuming that's what she meant.

Quote:
I have not met an action that I can't get to run in Elements.
Good point. You've amazed me many times by the magic can do in this regard. I know of no one more accomplished at doing this type of thing. As long as one has Photoshop or access to someone with Photoshop, the possibilities are practically endless.

Refresh my memory on how you'd approach the following...

For an action that has a STOP command midstream to accomodate, say, a manual operation, e.g., a selection or some sort operation requiring a brush, is the strategy to rearchitect it into two actions (a 'before' and an 'after')?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2007, 04:56 AM

Pardon my stupidity but why does one need access to Photoshop to run an action in elements?
Maybe it isn't an action I'm talking about. Example- in PSP there are scripts for turning photos to sketch types. I can run them as is or I can run them interactively and make adjustments as I go. Can I do something like that in Elements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharynideas View Post
I am familiar with writing scripts in PSP. Is it possible to write scripts for actions in elements 5?

Suggest you go here. http://www.graficalicus.com/graffishop

This guy has all manner of stuff for PSE, including lots of freebies and actions etc. Somewhere on the site he explains how to install and run PS .atn files in PSE.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Pardon my stupidity but why does one need access to Photoshop to run an action in elements?
It's a good question... Sorry for the confusion.

Photoshop is needed to create and modify actions.

Not all actions created in Photoshop are Elements compatible; for those, Photoshop is needed to rework them so they can be played in Elements.

If an action is Elements compatible to begin with, Photoshop is not needed.

Quote:
Maybe it isn't an action I'm talking about. Example- in PSP there are scripts for turning photos to sketch types. I can run them as is or I can run them interactively and make adjustments as I go. Can I do something like that in Elements?
With the additional info you provided, actions are indeed where you want to go. There are hundreds of actions on the net for creating frames, arty effects, etc.

The rub is in Elements you're stuck with the design, ideas, implementation, setting choices, etc. of the action author because in Elements one can only play actions.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-18-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: clarify content
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael View Post
For an action that has a STOP command midstream to accomodate, say, a manual operation, e.g., a selection or some sort operation requiring a brush, is the strategy to rearchitect it into two actions (a 'before' and an 'after')?
For that instance, splitting it is what you will do. Hopefully a more clever action can get you around the freehand work ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe it isn't an action I'm talking about. Example- in PSP there are scripts for turning photos to sketch types. I can run them as is or I can run them interactively and make adjustments as I go. Can I do something like that in Elements.
Actions will do what you suggest. You don't ALWAYS need Photoshop to run them in Elements. At times you need Photoshop to edit actions so that they will be Elements-friendly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway View Post
This guy has all manner of stuff for PSE, including lots of freebies and actions etc. Somewhere on the site he explains how to install and run PS .atn files in PSE.
Steve, I have all that most people will need on MY website...Perhaps you should check that out too. That would be http://hiddenelements.com. I was the first to write the 'how to run actions' paper, and you can find it here: http://hiddenelements.com/actions_whitepaper.html, and I was well into the actions for Elements creation before GC came on the scene.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help