RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Help with new version of PSE

Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 AM

Help with new version of PSE

I've just posted this thread on the Hidden Elements forum as well:

I have been happily using Photoshop Elements 2.0 with Richard's awesome tools for (I can't believe it) 5 years. I also use "Ling's Actions" including especially "Canon Daily Actions" for my portrait work.

Well, my trust computer is due for a change and it seems likely that the machine I will purchase will run Vista. (I know I could run XP instead or even "dual boot", but I want to try to stay current). So, it seems that I'm going to have to upgrade my Photoshop as well.

I still think I'd like to stick with Photoshop Elements as opposed to CS3. In fact, I'm assuming that newer versions are even more potent than my old 2.0. So, should I get Photoshop Elements 5.0 or 6.0?

I've tried to search for "Ling's Actions" and Photoshop Elements 6.0 but there's no match. From what I have read however, I'm fairly certain that I can't run those actions in their current form on either 5.0 or 6.0. (If there's an easy translation I'd be ecstatic). I know Richard has tools for 5.0 and a beta of the tools for 6.0. I'd love to hear your views on those (especially how they compare to the older ones). I'm sure they're great. But what about my old actions. If anyone familiar with Ling's Actions and Canon Daily Actions can recommend an equivalent package I'd be very grateful.

I'm an old dog, but I need to learn some new tricks and any guidance would be very welcome indeed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM

Re: Help with new version of PSE

It's good you're doing pre-leap-to-new OS research. Many people don't do that.

Sounds like you're pretty conservative when it comes to upgrading (not a problem; so am I). So, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate for the sake of food for thought, OK?

Considering the stability of XP and your familiarity with it, that your current software and hardware are compatible with it and due to the relatively slow market acceptance of Vista, Microsoft -- as will other software vendors -- will continue to support XP for many years, "I want to try to stay current" doesn't sound like a sufficient or compelling enough reason to me to sign up for so much self-inflicted hassle, plus additional costs for software and external hardware upgrades. (Note: I have no qualms about upgrading your computer hardware-wise per se; did that recently myself.)

Since you're an old dog, what part of "If [the OS] ain't broke, why fix it?" does not apply here? As a grizzled veteran of numerous operating system upgrades in my life (I'm a retired computer programmer ~ 30 years), I avoid OS upgrades as long as possible in lieu of getting my work [or hobby projects] done.

--------------------

re: Ling's add-on
The last upgrade she did was for Elements 3.0; none beyond that.

--------------------

As a low cost alternative to upgrading to Elements 6 and to eliminate the continual hassles with actions under each new version of Elements, consider buying Photoshop 7 via eBay for about $125 = instant actions compatibility (your existing ones plus a bazillion others), features like easy access to channels, curves, layer masks, more robust batch processing, saved selections AND the ability to edit actions as well as record your own.

By the time you're ready to upgrade your computer again in a few years, Vista will have settled out and THEN you could do the leap. The upgrade to PS CS3 [needed for Vista] will still be around via eBay.

OK... stepping down from soapbox now. Good luck on your decision.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 12:36 PM

FYI... if you haven't yet, you might want to engage in this thread to get any Vista questions answered...

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...oft-vista.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 PM

If there are things you would like converted -- and i can't guarantee anything as i am working about 100 hours a week these days -- you can try sending me an email.

Ling didn't keep up her stuff, which is no surprise to me. A lot of effort has to go in, and little reward but maintenance. In fact that is the way it goes for most people who have supplied free tools since I started doing it in 2001.

I'll be getting to the Elements 5 and Elements 6 tools this month -- or at least starting them. I have LOTS of new stuff to release, so it may come out a little at a time.

Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Richard:

You're the best! I think what I'll do when I get the new computer is set it up to dual boot (Vista and XP). The machine I've got my eye on comes preloaded with Vista and Elements 6.0. I'll add XP and my old Elements (with your HE and Ling's stuff).

I'll fool around with the new version of Elements and see how I like it. Once you've got your tools up and running, I'll add them and see what else I might need. The actions I use are pretty basic stuff (e.g. "glamor" and vignette actions.) While Ling may not have her actions for PSE 5 or 6 I have seen a few sources that appear to have something pretty close. Only if I really can't find an equivalent action will I even think about bothering you!

Thanks again for everything you've given to the community!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help