RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Newbie - upgrade?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Newbie - upgrade?

Hi - first time posting.
I am interested in astrophotography and Santa was very kind to me and got me a Pentax (already had a bunch of lenses) k200 digital SLR. A while ago I installed but have barely used or learned PE2 and am wondering if it is so dated I should just upgrade to PE5 or 6 and learn that instead. I need a program that can work with RAW files, allow me to work with LRGB, and layers and masks; some of the programs I have seen for astrophotos have wavelet functions, but I don't even know what that means, much less whether I need it. Probably could use a bunch of other functions to tease faint details out of under and over-exposed images that I have not read about yet.
Any thoughts on whether it is worth upgrading and/or super-upgrading with something like Hidden Power? If so, which version would you suggest?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Janitor

Re: Newbie - upgrade?

Perhaps this could help

http://actions.home.att.net/Astronom..._Elements.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM

I took a look at that site and for $19 you get something that ruins your images. Why not learn the right techniques and get better results? I took their sample image as small and JPEGed as it was and ran through my standard workflow, and ended up with the attached...Looks OK to me. That was using my free tool set and Elements 6 for Mac. I did a levels correction, some small color balance, and contrast enhancement using techniques from my layers book (which mostly works for Elements users too). No blowout, block-up or whatever that weird effect was they were getting that they were trying to sell.

Steven, my tools and techniques have also evolved since Elements 2...If you want to do RAW processing you may need to get a newer version of the program. I hope to be coming out with more stuff for elements users as the year progresses, but even the free tools -- IF you learn to use the program -- can get it done.

I hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stars.jpg (62.5 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks - are you suggesting 6 over 5 (for a pc with Vista)? By the time I learn the program I'm sure we will have come out with your new stuff for Elements!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Actually, PC is up to Elements 7. Not to say that newer is always better, but there will be less reason to be drawn to buy Elements 8 when that comes out...and you know it will ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM

I'm not one to go for the newest and latest -I guess my question is whether 7 is worth the $50 more than 6 or 5 would cost and if there might be issues trying to run 6 or 5 with Vista? I'm assuming the functions I would want are available on 5, 6, or 7.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 PM

I have system requirements for each version on the hiddenelements website. Elements 6 and 7 are supposed to work with Vista. I think 6 must not have gotten an awful lot of testing with Vista as it hasn't been too popular or stable, so there may still be potential for issues, and I wouldn't be surprised. 7 is probably a best bet, but as you say $50 difference may make enough difference that it is worth going with 6. Most things I am going to build will be Elements 6 and 7 compatible...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help