RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Is retouch pro for me?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 AM

Is retouch pro for me?

I don't consider myself a "pro" at anything! I came across this web site quite by accident and some of the tutorials that come into my mailbox sound so interesting but, I'm using Photoshop Elements 6 and don't know if I would be totally lost. I have managed to convert quite a few photoshop workflows to elements but some are just unmanageable. As I see it, I may have a couple of options.
1 - Don't do the live broadcast, wait for a rebroadcast and hope that I can pause the action.
2 - Stick with photoshop elements tutorials
3 - Wing it.
I did sign up for the Halloween class.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 03:23 AM

Re: Is retouch pro for me?

Hello and welcome
in answer to your title is retouchpro for you? YES

I am not sure what elements has and doesn't have, compared to photoshop, but someone around here will know and be able to help/advise you.

I too have signed up for the "Halloween class" and it will be my first so not sure what to expect , although i think it will be a case of take lots and lots of notes, and not try to "do" the lesson at the same time. ( i am looking forward to it )

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM

jmhawkes -- this website is a great place to learn and practice and share WITHOUT the fear of being embarrassed by sniping comments from bad-mannered people. The members are required to be polite and helpful, and so only the polite and helpful join and post.

The title says Pro, but many people who visit and post daily are not pros, but hobbyists like me, and just love working with images and learning new ways to do things. Elements 6 has layers and layer blend modes and layer masks if my quick research is correct, and that will let you do TONS of things. There are lots of people who started with Elements here and probably still lots of people working with Elements - and that means there are a lot of people who can answer questions when you get confused on some point.

The main thing we need when we want to learn is practice, instruction, and more practice with some helpful critique and encouragement -- that is what RetouchPro excels at -- there are lots of challenge photos to work on, and lots of tutorials and tips plus whatever books you are already using to learn from, and there is room to play and work and talk to other people who love doing what you love to do -- what else is there!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 08:41 AM

All of we have passion, but some people never find it, instead, they find discipline, which is aquired just by mediocre training. (I'm still figuring out the grammar).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM

I am also new here on RP, and I am using PSE as thats what i can afford right now , this might seem like a wierd question , can I retouch with PSE , or would I be limited to just basic edits , i am currently using Camera Magazine , the Focus Guides , this is a magazine from the U.K.I shoot alternative , digital my subjects are Portraits Places and Events. I still really don't understand layers creating a layer mask really confuses me as well. Is there a Photoshop Elements subgroup that covers Retouching ?
Thanks
will55
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
All of we have passion, but some people never find it, instead, they find discipline, which is aquired just by mediocre training. (I'm still figuring out the grammar).
There's passion in all of us but some ppl never find it in themselves. Instead, they find discipline, which can be acquired just with mediocre training.

Like that?

RetouchPro is for everyone trying to learn. It got me where I am today (And god knows I love where I am today )
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 PM

Just like that
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will55 View Post
I am also new here on RP, and I am using PSE as thats what i can afford right now , this might seem like a wierd question , can I retouch with PSE , or would I be limited to just basic edits , i am currently using Camera Magazine , the Focus Guides , this is a magazine from the U.K.I shoot alternative , digital my subjects are Portraits Places and Events. I still really don't understand layers creating a layer mask really confuses me as well. Is there a Photoshop Elements subgroup that covers Retouching ?
Thanks
will55
I don't use Elements, but there are members who do use it for retouching. You could start a new thread to discuss retouching questions for folks who use PS Elements and start sharing info.

Your post is in the forum for people who use Elements and have questions about its use or the use of an add-on called Hidden Power of Elements from a member named Richard Lynch - you can look up any post of his and check out his links for information about his Elements training and add-ons.

I did a quick search for layer mask and Elements, and learned that layer masks are not yet a function built into PS Elements -- but that people have figured out ways to create the layer mask functionality anyway -- here is one tutorial I found that shows you how to create a layer mask to adjust sharpening of an image -- you can learn more about layer masks while learning how to create one in Elements. Layer masks simply and effectively let you decide which parts of an image should show the effects of a change you make to the image when you don't want the entire image to show that change -- like sharpening the eyes more than the rest of a person's face, or changing the saturation of a color or brightening/darkening parts of an image - you can use the layer mask attached to the Hue/Sat adjustment layer or Levels or Curves layer to hide the change or show the change you make. Here's the link to the tutorial --
http://digital-photography-school.co...oshop-elements

These forums are safe places for people to ask questions - we all have started our knowing less than we do now, and most of us remember that and are willing to help out in any way we can when a member is seriously wanting to learn.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will55 View Post
Thanks
will55
here is a link that may help you,head for the section "retouching"
Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Patron

Found this @ Adobe TV: "Learn how to use Photoshop Elements with special tutorials selected by the experts at Adobe. There's everything from Getting Started tutorials for beginners to new features, tips, and techniques."
OR
http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-photoshop-elements-7/

Some other good resources are also in This thread

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 10-22-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: addedthread link
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help