RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

layer masks in PSE

Old 02-19-2010, 04:04 PM

layer masks in PSE

Is it safe to download a layer masks to work with , in PSE there is no layer masks , isnt this an important retouch tool , if you want to do serious retouching it seems also with PsE you are limited in a lot of ways.
Thanks
will55
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Patron

Re: layer masks in PSE

If you want to do seriuos retouching, you really need the full version of Photoshop. There are many many important tools which are not included in Elements, which was really intended for light duty consumer photo editing. I believe the only masking capability you have in Elements are the masks which are part of Adjustment Layers.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 PM

See if you could use something from here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Patron

Have you considered downloading Grant's Free Elements Tools which, I think, gives you the ability to use layers and masks in elements
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 AM

I LOVE the free layer mask addon for PSE. i use it all the time. sure you could use the workaround but this is so much easier. I keep it in the favorites tab so i have quick access to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 06:19 AM

Or maybe you can get it from the place that started making them in the first place and that puts some time into the forums here:

http://hiddenelements.com

As far as 'serious' people needing Photoshop, poppycock. I can get the same results in Photoshop or Elements. You just have to know the tools. Is it worth it for a beginner to buy Photoshop instead of Elements? Likely not, unless they have some terribly innate sense of hat they are doing. There are enough tools in Elements that will keep people learning literally for YEARS, and it will be 1/10th the cost. When I was saying that years ago, I think people thought I was trying to sell a book... Well my last book was on Photoshop, so why not promote that? Nope... You are a beginner, get Elements until you know why you need Photoshop. Suggestions like from mistermonday usually come when people haven't used Elements and really don't know the difference.

I would ask mistermonday what the differences are. There are some, but really not too many if you know what you are doing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch View Post
I would ask mistermonday what the differences are. There are some, but really not too many if you know what you are doing.
Yes, Richard, that's a few years I have been practicing Elements, since the hiddenelements book for PSE4. I am still learning something everyday. I'd be curious to see what important features the full CS users think are missing from PSE. When I say important, I do mean important for a given type of processing/editing/retouching purpose.

Most of the time, those' shortcomings' are stated by competent CS users who think they can teach beginners with PSE, without knowing it...

The 'mask' shortcoming is the most cited one. I am on different Elments forums, and I can tell you 99% of their users have masks add-ons and/or know other ways like clipping layer groups or the hijacking of an ajustment layer mask. Adobe wants to show the difference with CS and will never add those masks.

Now, what about 'workarounds'? It's a well known fact that you always have a multiple choice to achieve the same result, and many are discussed in this forum (curves vs blend modes etc...) There is less choice in PSE, but you can most of the time combine several existing tools to replace one in CS. It is comparable to RISC (reduced instruction set computing) in programming. This requires another level of understanding. The ability to combine elementary 'bricks' goes together with understanding how a sophisticated tool can be analysed. The paradox is that everything you can do in PSE can be done in CS while CS users may be handicapped by not finding their usual tools.

Time versus money. Pros need to save time to earn money. Amateurs may love to spend time on retouching with a software 90% cheaper. That does not mean the result will be inferior. Yes, the skills will be different, and PSE users will have to better understand light, light perception, the digital side of editing.

What I do find very interesting is that for many kinds of photography and editing a growing number of people have finally chosen to use LR or another raw converter combined with Elements. And the reason is...
Elements has powerful layers... and masks. All you want for local editing or retouch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 AM

Nice post Michel. One thing I believe to be true in my development with image editing is that I developed a better understanding of how to work with images when faced with the 'limitations' of Elements than I did with all the 'power' of Photoshop. I think it was also beneficial that I learned to work with black-and-white and its 'paltry' 255 tones before working with color.

Elements can really be just as fast as Photoshop. There are certain things I would not rely on Elements for.

* 16-bit processing (no layers)
* CMYK color (can be done in Elements)
* Actions (can be done in Elements as well, but the process I found is so tedious I've never bothered to try and explain it to anyone)

Most everything else is a bell, a whistle, or an how-cool-is-that-if-I-only-had-that-my-life-would-be-fulfilled.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 01:16 AM

I have found your books most interesting and i thank you for writing them.
As you may or may not know, photoshop elements has had support for layers
in 16 bit files since photoshop elements 3. All you need is a keyboard shortcut.

As an experiment, open a camera raw file in 16 bit. Then select the move tool.
Hold down the Alt (option) key while dragging up with the move tool, just until the
image moves, then stop and release the mouse button.
You should now have a new layer.

Oxford
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford View Post
As an experiment, open a camera raw file in 16 bit. Then select the move tool.
Hold down the Alt (option) key while dragging up with the move tool, just until the
image moves, then stop and release the mouse button.
You should now have a new layer.

Oxford
Yes, it's an experiment... It's fun to re-enable hidden features, but not that much practical. You can create 16 bits layers, you can even save the result as a layered PSD, but not re-open it in 16 bits without flattening. I don't see any way to add masks. At most, you could select with the lasso tool or the quick selection brush to create a clipping layer group.
Most global adjustments you can do in PSE are the same you can already do within ACR. Most, but not all, that's why it is very important to know when 16 bits is really required. My experience is that converting a good 16 bits image to 8 bits just to print it has no negative effect. However adding drama to a dull sky can show visible posterization; or using layer blend modes such as difference can show ugly artifacts (more so due to jpeg compression than from 8 bits limitations). Then it is useful to know exactly what you can do in 16 bits in PSE before combining different 16 bits edited versions after conversion to 8 bits and good use of masks and layers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help