Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

New brushes wont read in PSE 4

Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM
New brushes wont read in PSE 4

Please dont laugh- yes I said PSE 4

I got a new laptop- windows 7 professional 64 bit with virtual pc/xp mode already installed. My old xp sp3 32 bit is still running and I have PSE4 set up perfectly with a thousand brushes, styles, patterns and at least 10 plugins (most are free downloads, some were bought).

I installed PSE4 in xp mode and it works great, but when I tried to copy the brushes from the old computer and add them to the brushes preset folder, when I open up elements- it wont read any new brushes, just the default ones.

I have a seagate external drive. I copied them from my old c drive to the seagate. Plugged the seagate into the new computer and selected all the brushes and clicked on 'move to another place' choosing the xp mode preset brush folder.

I also right clicked on several of the brushes went to properties and clicked 'unblock'.

It may be something simple I am missing...

Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Re: New brushes wont read in PSE 4

Nothing worked and eventually, I stumbled upon this way to make it load.

I made a zip folder of all of the presets I wanted to move from the old to the new puter. In the new puter I removed the entire preset folder for each preset I was replacing (patterns, custom shapes, gradients, brushes, styles). I unzipped and extracted the preset folders. Once they were all in the new puter, I went to each preset folder one by one and went thru the following steps,

Right clicked to-- Properties-- under attributes 'read-only' had a little square filling it, I checked this box so that the it is now empty/blank.
I clicked -- Advanced-- archive and index attributes-- 'folder is ready for archiving' was empty/blank-- I checked it.
click ok
click apply in the properties window
"confirm attributes changes' window pops up -- I checked "apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files' click ok
click ok in final propertied window and it will close

Geee! Finally, I have all my presets transferred! I am not really a techie and I dont know why I had to do this, maybe the folders were locked for security since they came from another computer?

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else who may have the same problem. I tried to be clear, if anyone cant understand my instructions- let me know and I will try to clarify.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help