RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Adding Photoshop Actions

Old 04-26-2003, 05:18 PM

Richard,

The actions I'm discussing are from the Adobe Studio Exchange, Photoshop section, and have no readme files. I have not had a bit of problems with those you made available, or even those from the Shipley site. The exception to that is that the ones from the Shipley site are not as durable - I typically get a program complaint that the "Make function is not available" whenever I try to use more than one at a time. I had thought I could get the Photoshop Actions to work through your installer, which is why I asked the question. I apologize if I've become confused.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2003, 06:02 PM

The read me file Richard is referring to is called advanced.rtf and came in the zip files with the HPA2 action player. You need to put the action itself in the presets/photoshop actions folder, and then create an html file using the instructions that Richard provides to allow the action to be called (you don't need to write html, just put the file and action names into the blanks in the template - the fun bit is finding the action name!)Some actions will work - some will need to be modified - it may be as little as removing capital letters from the action name (requires temproary access to photoshop or a photoshop demo). Which ones are you interested in?
Susan S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2003, 07:44 AM

Actions are GREAT

Richard, Susan and Danny,

Thanks so much for your input and advise.
The first thing I want to say is I got Richards book in the mail yesterday. I read a couple chapters and installed the actions on the CD. WOW! I now have fully operational capacity that is worth big bucks in other programs.
The book is excellent. So far, the explainations are very clear and help me understand why adjustment tools are benificial, how they work and how to use them. This is the first $40.00 book ($28.00 at amazon.com) that is beyond a doubt much more valuable than its price. In addition, Richard seems to be genuinely interested in helping other Elements users have the capacity found in the 'big brother' program.
I sent an email to Fred Miranda but have not heard a reply from him. I will try renaming his file and see if it will work as is in the recipe section.
I also appriciate (alphebetically) Danny and Susan for their replies. So many people really take the time to reply.
I'll post again to update my progress.
John/tjsgarden
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2003, 07:44 AM

Susan,

Thank you for showing your expertise here. I'm glad you are around to help some people out!

I can tell you there are some fabulous learning actions on the Adobe Studio Exchange -- even if you don't appreciate the results. I tried to get in touch with a number of the people that put together some of the planet actions, but failed with every one I tried to contact. I'd love to get some of those converted for Elements -- if I could only find the authors.

Rick, if you can get in touch with the people that wrote the actions you want converted, I'd be glad to help out. It seems Susan would help you as well. Any action sets we get converted I can make available for download for everyone from http://hiddenelements.com .

Let us know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2003, 10:43 AM

Susan,
Thanks for the help. Richard's actions worked so well that I have not even looked for an rtf or readme flie.

Richard,
I have four actions that looked interesting that I'll try to get working this week. Time is a problem; grandkids are coming over today [my son's in the service overseas], then I go on night shift tonight (the company frowns on my working with PSE during working hours, for strange reasons of their own: they've no sense of priorities).

I'll try to contact the action developers, as well.

Thanks again to both of you.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2003, 10:51 AM

Please forgive the second post.

Susan,
I was trying to get "natalie_sketch" and "Realsketch" to work, as well as one called "Coming Out of the Shadows". These seem to be very popular and I thought I might use them on some photos I can never make come out "right". I recently tried converting some similar "can't get right" photos to B&W and met with some success.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2003, 01:46 PM

Photoshop Elements and actions clarification

There's no doubt in my mind that the functionality of Elements can be extanded with by HPE2 [thx for the abbreviation, Susan] and in many cases workarounds can be crafted to achieve results similar to (or exactly) as produced by Photoshop. The ability to now run actions under Elements (modified or not) is a HUGE breakthrough.

One of Richard's previous posts caused a BIG lightbulb to come on for me: Though PE and PS have some common functionality, menu differences between products can cause problems action-wise. That part I get. (Out of curiousity, what are the functions and what are the workarounds?)

Here's where it's still foggy for me. Bud Guinn, who's converted a few actions to run under PE alerted me to the Select > Color Range incompatibility and his workaround, utilize the Magic Wand tool. So I'm thinking that some commands are flat out incompatible and for many, there are other command combinations that can be used.

Questions:

1. Assuming the HPE2 enhancements have been installed in ones PE environment, will actions that include commands like Channel Mixer, Curves (or their adjustment layer equivalents), Select > Color Range, Add Layer Mask, etc. run without further modification under PE or not?

2. Same question assuming HPE2 enhancements have NOT been applied.

Why do I care?

I'm in the process of writing a comprehensive actions tutorial and have a yet to be populated section on writing actions for PE. I'd like it to include concrete statements regarding action compatibility between PS and PE -- or [hint-hint, Richard ] a link to a site that addresses the specific differences and, better yet, alternative commands. [Richard, Susan: Would you like to review this section before it's published?]

If these differences and workarounds could be published, it would enable action makers to craft Elements' compatible actions going forward and and start moving away from action conversion.

Good thread gang... Let's keep up the positive and informative comments.
~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2003, 12:24 PM

Danny,

I'd very much like to review that.

Curves and some other features can be implemented in a variety of different ways. The first thing I would do is try something AS IS. If it works, no need to modify. If it does't work, there is more than one way to get it to (the beauty of Photoshop). For example, I give a pretty strong hint in my book as to how to implement curves even if there are none -- that is, not using curves at all!

I don't think the magic wand is the best solution to color range. My book also discusses a solution to this which you can implement using Hue/Saturation. I can help you with that.

So:

1) it may not depend on if the enhancements are installed to get these to run. I can help out with that.

2) same answer.

3) (oh, you didn't ask this one) There are work-arounds for everything if you take the time to make them. Something like implementing Hue/Saturation may take a lot of understanding that not all users have ever had the need to indulge. If you have specific problems with an action, I'd be very glad to help you convert it, but I'd need to see what you are trying to accomplish. Things sometimes require a clever solution and may not be obvious.

OK?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2003, 06:38 PM

Danny - I'l be happy to look at anything that you come up with - but I'm probably not going to be able to add much that Richard won't already be able to say!

In my very limited experience of converting actions, the stuff of the sort that is included in HPE2 that is lurking in Elements but just needs to be accessed (Curves adjustment layers, layer masks, channel mixer and a few others that I can't remember) will work if called in an action (in the right way) whether or not HPE2 is installed. Select>colour range is just plain missing and needs a workaround. As does the Histrory brush, fade commands, all sorts of other stuff. I can come up with simple workarounds - but often without the full version of PS to play on I have to give up (I'm just using the PS6demo as an action and style editor and it is a bit limited - as am I, action writing-wise!)

Susan S
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2003, 02:03 AM

Susan S.,
I downloaded PS7 yesterday and installed it on my machine after I got home this morning, so I should be able to change the action names if I need to do that. PS7 demo is full function for 30 days, so I have a little time to try out/modify the actions I would like to have. I'll have time Thursday morning to start getting the actions into PSE2 format. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

Rick
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help