RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Elements Help Questions and answers about Adobe Photoshop Elements (all versions).
One question per thread, please.

Curves (or Levels) and the "L" Channel in Elements 2.0

Old 07-04-2004, 07:02 AM

Question Curves (or Levels) and the "L" Channel in Elements 2.0

Hi,
Is it possible to edit the "Lightness" channel in Elements 2.0? If so, any assistance on how would be appreciated! I have installed Richard's hidden power tools and have been reading his book for about a week. I know I can Split Luminosity and then layer a curves adjustment (or levels for that matter) on top, but I am not sure if this is adjusting only the "L" channel. How would I know if the adjustment layer is impacting only the "L" channel vs the entire image, including colors?

Thanks a bunch!

Patrick
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2004, 01:10 AM

Hi Patrick, the Lightness Channel is only available if your image is in LAB mode, as far as I'm aware. This is not available in Elements 2 as shipped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 11:03 AM

Yes, you can.

Lightness, hopefully it is explained in the book, is almost exactly what you have in the L channel of Lab. You don't necessarily need to be in Lab mode to manipulate the lightness, except in a purist sense. The L channel is just another image component that can be extracted by other means (in this case filtering). Just like you can extract the C, M, Y, and K components from an RGB image, you extract what is, in essence, LAB's L, and make changes to tone distinct from color.

There isn't an L or Lab mode in Elements as shipped, no...but why should that stop you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 05:10 PM

Sorry Richard, I haven't read your book and told it as I saw it. I'm happy to be proved wrong, and glad you can help Patrick. Any chance of explaining how this is done by filtering, or must I buy your book to find out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 07:56 PM

Richard,
Thanks for your reply. I do own your book and cd but I still am not sure how to edit the L channel. I know how to split or add luminosity using your power tools. I also know how to add a levels or curves adjustment layer. But I am not sure how I know if I am only applying the levels or curves adjustments to L channel, rather than the full RGB. (I hope I stated this correctly.) This is where I need some assistance.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 07:58 PM

Well, the result is enabled by tools I include with the book. The mechanism is something that isn't quite available without the tools (it isn't really just desaturating or other simple calculated results, and it isn't a light process filtering like most of CMYK or RGB). At least it isn't done that way in the simple process I use now. it could be something I have to revisit in the future as content in Elements changes.

I don't hide technique in the book....most Photoshop users would learn a thing or two with the book...that's why I wrote the Hidden Power of PS CS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 08:00 PM

Patrick,

Easy answer: when you make the Luminosity/Color separation, group the changes you want to make to the L channel to the Luminosity channnel. Just stack them above and press Command/CTRL+G.

OK?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Elements Help