RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

awkward Photoshop ...

Old 04-01-2005, 09:24 AM

awkward Photoshop ...

I've just got my CDs from Trimoon. I've only been running the watercolor tutorial so far (and remarkably good it appears to be!) , and I think Photoshop CS may be showing its worst side as I try to store and implement the many tools and brushes included on the disk.

My question has two parts. First, let's say I want to store the whole folder of Smudge tool variants Trimoon has developed. Where do I best put the folder to gain quickest access to the tools (suffix .tpl) contained therein? Same for brushes (.abr)?

As you know, Painter 9 lets me assemble tools onscreen by tearing off current brushes so that they are always in sight and available with a click. I know PShop has no such facility, but I wonder if any of you have developed techniques for putting down and picking up the several tools and brushes you're using for this or that image as you need them, rather than going through the clumsy chooser provided in Photoshop.

Bob Bollini
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster
My question has two parts. First, let's say I want to store the whole folder of Smudge tool variants Trimoon has developed. Where do I best put the folder to gain quickest access to the tools (suffix .tpl) contained therein? Same for brushes (.abr)?
Hi Bob:

Technically these files can go anywhere. They are of no value to PS until they are "loaded" into their respective palettes (see below). For convenience you can put them in these folders:

Brush set files (.abr) go here:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Presets\Brushes

Tool preset files (.tpl) go here:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Presets\Tools

Note: If you wanted to put them into subfolders within these folders, e.g., \Brushes\MyBrushes or \Tools\MyTools, in order to keep them separate from the factory installed files, that's fine too. Photoshop does not care.

At this point you will need to "load" (copy) them into their respective palettes. The menu for each palette will include a "Load" command. Browse to the file location. IMPORTANT: When the dialog comes up asking, "Replace or append?" - APPEND! In lieu of the Load command, you can also click on the file name that appears at the bottom of the palette menu.
Quote:
As you know, Painter 9 lets me assemble tools onscreen by tearing off current brushes so that they are always in sight and available with a click.
I don't have P IX installed yet, but I'll assume you mean the Brush Tracker facility...
Quote:
I know PShop has no such facility, but I wonder if any of you have developed techniques for putting down and picking up the several tools and brushes you're using for this or that image as you need them, rather than going through the clumsy chooser provided in Photoshop.
One way to do this would be to define Tool presets for your most commonly used tools, brushes, etc. Suggestion: Assign a special character, e.g., # or @ at the beginning of the custom preset name so it will "sort to the top of the list." Then delete (alt + click on) all the presets you never use. (Deleted tool presets can be restored at a later time if desired by loading their corresponding .tpl file.)

This isn't nearly as convenient as the Brush Tracker, but might bring you some reduction in tool selection time.

If you decide to give this a go, I would HIGHLY recommend you experiment with Saving, Deleting, Loading, Appending preset files (for individual presets and groups of presets) so you're able to protect yourself, i.e., perform a recovery, just in case. Photoshop HELP should be of value here.

Good luck... Hope this helps.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 12:39 PM

A generous and suggestive reply, Danny: thank you very much.

I'm hoping Steve LeQuier reads this list. He has a swarm of tools and brushes he's made, and I can't believe he has sat still for PShop's stumbling approach to deploying them.

B.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster
...I can't believe [Steve] has sat still for PShop's stumbling approach to deploying [tool presets].
I'm afraid Adobe holds many of us hostage.

Given where the program is now, even with CS2 on the verge of being announced (again), and how much better it could/should be by 2005 standards = Adobe can be assured of making a boatload of $$ on upgrades in future years as they slowly implement ease-of-use functionality.

Unlike a market driven industry such as auto manufacturing, Adobe does not have to be as sensitive to customer demands for new features/funcitons.
Since they have a captive audience (and make no mistake: they do), Adobe will dribble out enhancments at their own pace.

In all fairness, though, as much and as often as I yelp about Photoshop's many annoyances, I still enjoy using it more than any program in my START menu!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help