RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Help with Actions...

Old 08-01-2005, 05:13 PM

Help with Actions...

I am SO frustrated. But for some reason, I am not able to run certain actions. Only the ones I have used before. I have just downloaded a few action sets from the list of actions to create frames here at RTP, and I know I put them in the right folder, but now they are not on my list. And even some that are on the list will not play after I load them. I can click each step below the name of the action and play it one at a time but cannot click the action name and play, it is not even an option. I am pretty new to actions so any help here is very greatly appreciated.

Dawn

Ok, I got them to play, at least the ones that were there. But I still cannot get the ones I just downloaded to show up at all. What gives?

Last edited by 1STLITE; 08-01-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 05:46 PM

hi dawn,

i dont have PS, but this sounds similar to when there are sub-folders within whatever you downloaded and added. these sub-folders might need to go into other folders. mind you, i'm just guessing, but it sounds similar to things i've encountered before.

also, check the folder for a readme. often they'll give explanations for how to install and you might find an answer there....or, on the original site you got them from. sometimes the instructions are there.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 05:48 PM

oh, and if this is similar to some plugins, those actions may not work on all files types and bit counts; you know, like some things may work for 8 bit, but not 16 bit. i dont know for sure, but again, see if there's a readme or site info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
Ok, I got them to play, at least the ones that were there. But I still cannot get the ones I just downloaded to show up at all. What gives?
Before individual actions within the downloaded .atn file can be played, the .atn file must be loaded (in other Photoshop terminology "loaded") from your hard disk into the Actions Palette.

There are a couple of ways to do this. Here's the basic method:
* The Actions Palette must be visible (press F9 if it is not)
* Open the Actions Palette menu (arrow, top/right of palette)
* Choose command "Load Actions" and navigate to wherever you downloaded the .atn file
* Click on the file name, then click the Load button. This will copy the .atn file from your hard disk into the Actions Palette.
* Click the arrow to the left of the newly loaded "Action Set," revealing the action(s) inside.

Normally at this point you need to:
* Open an image to which you want to apply the action
* Just as a precaution, it's not a bad idea to Image > Duplicate at this point and close the original file. This way if things go terribly wrong, your original is untouched.
* Click on the action you want to play
* Click the Play control at the bottom of the Actions Palette

Does this help?

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 01:58 AM

Ok, first let me thank ya'll for your responses. Now, at firsyt I was worried maybe I was doing something wrong, but now I know I wasn't. I can get the ones I load to play, but the problem is that most of the ones I downloaded are not listed as options when I click load action. They are just not there.

Ah, oh well. I will try to get this straight again in the morning.

Thanks ya'll!

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
...the problem is that most of the ones I downloaded are not listed as options when I click load action. They are just not there.
Sometimes .atn files are "zipped" inside of .zip files. If you downloaded a .zip file, it must first be "unzipped" before Photoshop will be able to "see" the .atn file(s) in the Load Actions dialog.

Another thing to try is Windows' Start > Find Files/Folders function. Search for files named: *.atn The leading * tells Windows to list any file that ends in ".atn".

Don't be discouraged. Just about everyone stumbles a bit when getting up to speed with actions. Pretty soon you'll be an ol' pro, too.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Oy. I feel stupid now - lol. Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one, Danny. I didn't unzip it first. ugh. Ok, well, back to work -

Thanks Danny!

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 PM

hehe, there ya go

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help