RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Driving me crazy! (about file extensions)

Old 08-06-2005, 01:02 PM

Question Driving me crazy! (about file extensions)

Hi everyone.

I've tried everything I can think of to solve this one, but still no luck.

I don't know if it's just my machine and/or my installation, but Photoshop 7 (I've tried the original and v 7.0.1) insists on adding a .psd extension to the file every time I try to save as a JPEG file.

Things I've tried so far:

1. Rename the file
2. Save the file in a different folder
3. 1 and 2 above together!
4. Put '.jpg' in the text box just before saving
5. Throwing the mouse at the screen (no just kidding, but I've come close!)

The crazy thing is, when I go back to the saved file to open it, photoshop has in fact saved it as a jpeg file but just added the wrong file extension. I know this, 'cos it doesn't recognise it as a .psd file, but if I go back and manually change the file extension to .jpg in windows explorer, then Photoshop will open it happily as a jpeg file!

How wierd is that?

Has anyone suffered the same fate?

Is there a way 'round this?

Thanks for listening.

dungbeetle
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 01:40 PM

Usually, if you have layers of any type, or extra channels (masks, and saved selections), Photoshop saves as a psd. This is because, if you don't, you'll loose all of the above when saving to jpg.
If you don't have any of the above, "Save As" should work, and allow you to save as jpg.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Vikki.

The only thing is, I'd like to keep the original layers etc. in the original file for obvious reasons and just save as a jpeg for sending to others.

I must admit, I thought that was the whole idea of 'save as' .. to keep the original and create another in a different format.

The daft thing is, like I said above, Photoshop does actually merge the file down and save it as a jpeg file - it just puts the wrong file extension on it which you have to change yourself in windows explorer!

This is OK if your just working on one or two files, but becomes a real pain when your dealing with lots
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 02:24 PM

I've got two ideas.

1. What happens if you try to save through "Save for Web" dialog ?
2. You can try to reset all of photoshops options by pressing and holding alt+ctrl+shift while launching it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchyy
I've got two ideas.

1. What happens if you try to save through "Save for Web" dialog ?
2. You can try to reset all of photoshops options by pressing and holding alt+ctrl+shift while launching it.
Hi Suchyy,

1. I've never used that option before but I will look into it. Having said that, I'd probably need a bigger jpeg file than one suitable for the web.

2. Oooooh! don't know if I'm brave enough to do that
I don't think I can remember all the things I've customised to be able to put them back - BUT, if no one else is having these problems then perhaps a re-start or re-install is on the cards.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 09:09 AM

If you use the "save for web" it allows you to select the file size and quality as well as the extension that you would like (png, gif, jpg etc.) the only downfall to this is that all layers will be conpressed into a single layer. I would only recommend this for your final image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 12:55 PM

Hi,

The crazy thing is, when I go back to the saved file to open it, photoshop has in fact saved it as a jpeg file but just added the wrong file extension. I know this, 'cos it doesn't recognise it as a .psd file, but if I go back and manually change the file extension to .jpg in windows explorer, then Photoshop will open it happily as a jpeg file!

that part's kinda weird, but did you try this...

when you click 'save as' to try to save the file, a dialogue box will pop up. There'll be a couple input boxes, plus all the other options, such as letting you choose where you want to save the file, etc.
One option will be Format. Click the upside-down triangle thing at the right side of the format box and it'll show you all the format options for what type of file you want to save your picture as. You'll see jpeg on the list somewhere, just click that one.

It should work.

M.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 01:38 PM

normally, if i have made layers to an image, i just save in 'paintshop.image' with a name other than the original, which is the equivalent to .psd in photoshop. this saves all the layers with the original. then, if i want a .jpg for posting, i simply 'merge all' layers and save this as a .jpg. i then have 3 files, the original, the psp image and a .jpg. sometimes i'll even do a 4th save if i'm posting on a site that allows for larger files than retouchpro. obviously, this is taking up more harddrive space, but since i do backups i can always erase old files off the harddrive that are saved elsewhere.

the advantage to this method is that if i want to work on the original, i still have it and if i want to work on the layered image i dont have to recreate it and if i want to post another .jpg i just pull it up. the disadvantage is it takes more harddrive space.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 05:32 PM

you cant save a file with layers as a jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help