RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Web Ready

Old 08-11-2005, 01:32 PM

Web Ready

Dumb question here!! What does the Web Ready function in PhotoShop under the Save As do for sure? Can someone help me understand it's function please. I am assuming and you know what happens when we do that!! LOL Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 01:35 PM

i never use it. not sure i even have it in paint shop pro. so, my response here is just a guess also, but i think it's for making a reduced resolution image for faster loading on web pages. in paint shop pro, i just run the .jpg 'optimizer' to get my images down to 100k or lower for posting here. i'm guessing that the 'web ready' thing does something similar.

hehe, so, not much help, i'm afraid, since i'm assuming too.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 02:34 PM

Save For Web...

Is used to maximize images for web delivery. When you use it a window comes up that gives you options to save as jpeg, png, gif, etc. You can view how long each format will take to download on a page, change settings, etc.

It is for people who make websites, so that can get faster loading, but optimized images for pages based on what kind of images they are using.

If you aren't a webmaster you can usually just save as jpeg up to a certain size and email pictures or print based on your own resolution needs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 08:24 PM

Thanks Craig and Rocket!! My daughter is making her first web page for her business and I was saving pictures for her on another computer , and saw it. I saved the pictures as WEB Ready , thought it might make them the right res. and things so did it . Thanks NEB
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 09:34 PM

you're welcome

it's not always necessary to make things 'web ready'. mostly this is done as a courtesy for those with 56k dial-up so that they dont have to wait 15 minutes for a page to load (only 14) i prefer not to cut resolutions, myself, or at least not by much. i used to post everything as a .bmp. then i started doing them as .gif's on sites where 56k'ers complained. and here on retouch, with the 100k limits, it's almost all .jpg's. so, it varies depending on the target audience and the site's limits and freedoms... and what you're posting, of course.

for a business site, i would guess it would matter what the business is. a photo business like retouching would pretty much demand higher resolutions.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 07:14 AM

Save for web gives you a little more control over quality vs load time issues.

One advantage I have found in using "save for web "is actually a workflow issue. As you may have noticed, Photoshop remembers where you last opened and saved a file. Sometimes this can be annoying. For example sometimes I have a need to edit files in one folder and then save them in another folder. When I do a normal "save as" Photoshop defaults to the folder I originally opened the file in but, if I use "save for web" Photoshop will remember the last place I saved to using the "save for web" command, and default to that place each time. This save me time by not having to navigate to a different folder each time.

Bill
http://www.billcallis.com

Last edited by screenfx; 08-12-2005 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help