RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Question on Photoshop Work Area Background

Old 08-12-2005, 03:17 PM

Post Question on Photoshop Work Area Background

I've been trying to figure out how to change the dull background of the Photoshop Work Area. Currently it's plain gray (only turn black when I switch it to Full Screen Mode).

Is it possible to change this background without changing the screen mode to full ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 04:39 PM

not sure if you can do this in photoshop or not, but check your 'preferences' (or 'options' if that's what it's called) and look for a setting to do that. i know in paint shop pro you can change the default background in a transparent image, so you might have something for what you're looking for also.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 05:38 PM

It may be a dull gray, but if you are trying to judge any color images, the gray is the better backgound to have around it. Make sure the gray is gray without a cast to it. I use 128-128-128.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
I've been trying to figure out how to change the dull background of the Photoshop Work Area. Currently it's plain gray (only turn black when I switch it to Full Screen Mode).
Is it possible to change this background without changing the screen mode to full ?
Thanks
Hi Kim
I changed it but through the Windows preferences. I use Windows XP pro SP2 on a PC. Rightclick anywhere on the desktop and in the dialog or dropdown menu go to "properties" and then to the "Appearance" tab, click on the "Advanced options" button; in the dialog box that appears select the "desktop" or "desk" option (sorry but my XP version is in Spanish so I am not sure how it is called in the English version) and on the color small window you can select the color you want for your desktop or work area.

Hope the illustration helps for you to understand what I tried to explain above.

Let me know how you managed and if it worked, probably you will have to restart for it to take effect.

Regards - Martha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desktopcolor.JPG (88.3 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 08:13 PM

You can change the work canvas color to any color you want by selecting the desired foreground color, holding SHIFT and clicking in the current work canvas area (the space between the image and the edge of the document window). Note: the default is 80% brightness using HSB with the values of 0,0,80 in the color picker.

In CS2 you can roll up the application background to reveal the desktop, ala Mac style.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 11:22 PM

Thank everyone for trying to help but I'm not sure if you all know what I meant.

Racc/Martha,
I tried what you said but it didn't work

Mike,
Gray is good but sometimes, other color brings out the image more than gray. Anyway, it's nice to know if something is possible to change. You might know (?) what I meant but how do I change it ?

Craig,
I think you misunderstood what I meant as well

It's this gray background area that I'm trying to figure out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (27.3 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2005, 12:18 AM

kim,

no, i got it; i just dont know how to change it in photoshop. i was simply making a comparison to psp that some of those things are changable.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2005, 12:48 AM

Craig,
Are you talking about the grid colors for the transparency ? If so, it's not what I'm talking about (That I know how to change). If not, where exactly do you go to change this background (even) in PSP ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2005, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Thank everyone for trying to help but I'm not sure if you all know what I meant.
It's this gray background area that I'm trying to figure out.
Well Kim that is precisely what I was explaining (or trying to) how to change the color of that grey background. Like I said I changed it but within the Windows desktop preferences.

Perhaps we should have asked what do you use a PC or a Mac ? That is why I explained that I have Windows XP and that I use a PC.

I am sorry you could not do anything about that colour, but Mike is right, changing it might interfere with images color appreciation.

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2005, 07:30 AM

Whilst I agree with everyone that grey is usually best, it is possible to change the background workspace colour.

Select the FILL tool, before holding down the shift and clicking it the workspace. (Actually, I can't remember, it might be right click). If that doesn't work, get back to me, because I did figure it out again the other day, but I can't remember clearly!

Victoria
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help