RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Just a question regarding emailed photos

Old 10-27-2005, 05:28 PM

Just a question regarding emailed photos

Typically, ISP providers limit the size of email contents, usually attachments. Mine will only allow 5 Mb. If a customer emails me a photo that has been sized small enough to email, and I have to increase the ppi for print quality, will Photoshop perform that task to the degree that I will get good results or will it make the photo look.... weird?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Photoshop increases the resolution of a photo using a "resampling" algorithm, which in simple terms creates new pixels based on the values of pixels already in the image. However it cannot recover image detail that was discarded from the original when it was resized by the sender. The results can vary widely depending on the amount of detail lost and the amount of resampling needed to reach the desired DPI, but you can be assured it will never be the same as the original. It's usually better to control the size using file compression rather than by scaling down the rez. Keep in mind though that lossless compression is best (PNG or TIFF-LZW) if you can get to the desired size. JPEG gives you smaller files, but employs a 'lossy compression' technique that introduces undesirable artifacts into the image.

That said, if you must increase the resolution I generally find it best to use Photoshop to do the resampling (bilinear, bicubic, bicubic sharper, bicubic smoother, etc.) rather than have the image crudely scaled by the output driver.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 11:28 PM

Instead of using email, use www.yousendit.com - it allows you to send files up to 1gb.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 03:49 AM

You can have customers upload the files direct to your PC. I do this via my own server software and Yabb customer support forum (very simple to use/setup), or you can use something like MSN messenger to make it very easy. That way you have no file restrictions at all
Both of these methods cost nothing to setup and use.

Abyss web server Here

Yabb forum software Here

Messenger Here

Abyss server can also act as a host for your website . Unlimited space and bandwidth on your site at no cost
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 02:59 PM

chris,

i just want to make sure i'm understanding you correctly. it's the abyss one that allows you to use your own computer as a web site? i've been looking for something like that.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 03:42 PM

Yes, abyss acts as a very easy to use Web server. Once set up, the user guide shows you how to add things like PHP, CGI and Perl etc if you need them.
Once running, your IP address becomes your web address ie: http://82.38.2**.** is my address (sorry for the **'s but I have to keep it as a private server . This would show you the test page for abyss on my PC. It runs in the background and uses next to no system resources. You can create your site, then just copy n paste the site files in to the htdocs folder in Abyss.
When your happy with your site, you can get one of the free sort URL's from the likes of .co.nr

Last edited by chrishoggy; 10-28-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 03:47 PM

thanks chris! i have a fixed ip number and got a fixed one on purpose because i wanted to have my own computer and ip # to use as a web site eventually. i wouldnt really, absolutely need a url name, though i do see some advantages.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 03:56 PM

Good bit of advice is to use a second hard drive as the server. It keeps it away from all your other files, and makes it easier to administer.
Have a good read of the user guide before installing. It's all in basic easy language, and will help you in the setup and running of the site
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2006, 12:06 AM

Hi Caitlin

Thank you so much for the "yousendit" link. I would never have known about that had you not told me. I sincerely appreciate that. By the way, jumped over to your web site. Nice work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2006, 10:36 PM

Thanks PJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help