RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Question about Resizing 8 x10 to other Print Sizes

Old 12-07-2005, 11:46 AM

Question about Resizing 8 x10 to other Print Sizes

I was wondering... I have an 8 x 10 crop of an image that I want to make into 5 x 7 and 4 x 6 prints as well. When I resize the image to make it a 5 x 7 using Photoshop there is some space left and I have to take the crop tool to crop out the extra bit. This causes some loss of the image. How do I fix the image so that I don't have to crop out any part of it, yet still get 5 x 7 and 4 x 6 sizes to print? Do I have to put some kind of border around the image to compensate for the unequal ratio that it is being downsized to?

This is the method I am currently using to get various print sizes:

I take the 8x10 image and go to Image > Image Size and go to the area where it says "Document Size" and I change the dimensions to 7" inches in height and I get an automatic width adustment to 5.6" as I want the proportions to remain intact. I have Scale Styles, Constrain Propotions and Resample Image Bicubic checked. Then I press OK and go back to my image. Then I have to take the crop tool and crop the .6" off of the width of the image to make it the right size for printing.

As you can see, this cuts down on the surface area of the image and can sometimes crop out detail I'd rather not crop out.

What I am looking for is a better way to do this and retain the surface area of the entire image without having to crop any detail out.

Is there a work around?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by rnbluvva; 12-07-2005 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Want to clarify my current method in detail
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 12:27 PM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but this is what I do when I re-size photo from say 8 X 10 to any other smaller format: I simply select the crop tool and enter the final size (width and height) that I want for the photo (see attached picture). That way, the crop "selection" will produce the size you require once cropped. I hope I'm making sense!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CropSize.jpg (33.7 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 12:54 PM

Let Me Clarify...

Hi fpellerin:

Yes that is part of the method I currently use. What my problem is, is this:
I take the 8x10 image and go to Image > Image Size and go to the area where it says "Document Size" and I change the dimensions to 7" inches in height and I get an automatic width adustment to 5.6" as I want the proportions to remain intact. I have Scale Styles, Constrain Propotions and Resample Image Bicubic checked. Then I press OK and go back to my image. Then I have to take the crop tool and crop the .6" off of the width of the image to make it the right size for printing.

As you can see, this cuts down on the surface area of the image and can sometimes crop out deatail I'd rather not crop.

What I am looking for is a better way to do this and retain the surface area of the entire image without having to crop any detail out.

Is there a work around?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 02:21 PM

Ratio vs. Size

If you want to resize such that no area needs to be cropped out--without distorting the image--the quick answer is that you can't. The problem is not a size issue but a ratio issue. An 8 x 10 will always be 8 x 10, whether it is in inches, feet, millimeters, or miles. An 8 x 10 can only be resized to 4 x 5, 16 x 20, or any "size" where the ratio of height to width (or vice versa) is 8 x 10.

Think of a square: If you have a 2 x 2 square and want to reduce the height or width to 1, the square will become a 1 x 1 square, no way around this -- you can't have a 1 x 2 square. The only way to change dimensions without losing information is to squeeze or stretch the picture, which I'm sure you do not want to do.

One solution is to figure out what information can be cropped out and crop accordingly. Another solution is to enlarge your canvas using the Image > Canvas Size command to get the canvas ratio you want, then use the clone tool to fill the new space, then crop.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 03:17 PM

natalie,

yup, like mashny says, you cant do it without distorting the image and that means then anti-distortion tools and a lot of extra work. the best way to do what you want is to just crop the image by hand and watch the aspect ratios as you do so. in psp you can see these at the bottom of the window as you move the selection tool around. i forget the common ones at the moment, but it's not hard to figure out. and, by doing it this way you can pick the crop you want and not some automatic thing which may not give you the right crop.

and generally, when i do a crop, i make the selection and then control-c and control-v to copy and paste as a new image.

you can also do a crop with your printer in some cases. on mine, i can adjust the zoom of the preview to move in or out accordingly and this will essentially do one type of cropping. this isnt the best way, but it does sometimes work out alright.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 04:08 PM

mashny: That does help! Thanks This is what I was thinking. Maybe what I can do is to put a white border around the image so that when I crop to print the entire surface of the image is there and nothing of the actual image needs to be cropped. Or I will do what you say and clone in what I need.

Craig: Yeah I usually set the paramaters for the crop tool and have the opacity at 100% so I know exactly what I am cropping.

I personally am fine with this but I have a friend who wants an image made into several sizes and she doesn't get that you can't keep the entire 8x10 crop in tact for 5x7 4x6 etc. So I am trying to find a way so I don't crop out any detail of the image. I think the only thing that will work is the border idea. I don't necessarily like the way that looks, but it's the only option if all the surface area of the image is to be retained.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 04:13 PM

natalie,

rokily dokily

one thing you can show your friend is the print preview and just zoom in and zoom out for her. this will tend to make it more real for her as to why the crop wont scale correctly.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 08:56 PM

Glad the information helped. As you mentioned, adding a border will also work. I usually prefer enlarging the canvas and cloing but, depending on the background, that's not always easy. Good luck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help