Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Photoshop 8 settings question.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:10 AM

Red face Photoshop 8 settings question.

Hi all,

I have two things i cant figure out in Photoshop 8, firstly whenever i open a picture i get a message saying ................ ' embedded profile mismatch ' embedded color profile does not match the current RGB working space, etc. This never happens with version 7, I've looked in the settings but I'm clueless! How do i fix this?

The other thing is when i save a picture in Photoshop 8 it will not save the pic so that i have a thumbnail preview of it in my ' My Pictures ' folder, it just has an icon. How do i change things so that it saves with a thumbnail of the pic like Photoshop 7 does?

Help please!

Phee.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 04:27 AM

Welcome to RetouchPRO, Phee

Embedded profile: Well, first explaining profile. This describes the way that the values of R,G,B in your image get translated to R,G,B light on your monitor. There are various alternatives, the most common being sRGB (1966) and Adobe RGB (1998) and, as in most things, you'll find avid supporters of both.
In your Photoshop you will have one of these defined as default. If you open an image that uses any other profile, it will ask you what you want to do: Keep it, Change it, Forget it.
The option that controls whether it asks, or not, is here Edit>Color Settings ( or <Shift><Ctrl><K>). There you will find a check box "Profile Mismatches"..."ask when opening". In your PS 7.0 it wasn't selected, now it is.

I've already written too much, so I'll leave the second question to my friends.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 05:13 AM

In the same Preferences: File Handling/Image Previews/Always Save, choose Full Size...skip
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 05:34 AM

Reason for no thumbnail is because it's saving as a PSD file, and windows can't automaticly thumbnail PSD files. You need to save as JPG or png in order for windows to thumbnail the image
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 05:40 AM

Hello ByRo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post, and your explanation of embedded profiles, i've learned a little more today!

After reading your post i opened my Photoshop 8, went to the color settings to find that those options ie " Profile mismatches ..... ask when opening " " Missing Profiles ..... ask when opening " " Ask when pasting " were all unchecked! I finally figured out that my setting in Photoshop 8 was set to " Custom " ( why i'll never know) so once i changed that to " Web Graphics Defaults " everything works like it does in my Photoshop 7. No more messages when i open a picture, and all my pictures save with a thumbnail preview in my ' My Documents ' folder. Yay! Small problem solved .......... thanks again for your help, have a nice day/night!

Phee
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
Reason for no thumbnail is because it's saving as a PSD file, and windows can't automaticly thumbnail PSD files.
Sorry, Chris, I think you're mistaken here.

I didn't reply to the second question 'cuz I wasn't exactly sure . skip's answer seems to be correct, though.
I tested here at work , PS 7.0 / Windows 2000. With the Image preview set to "always", Windows generates thumbnails and icons with no problem.

See if it works for you too.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 08:39 AM

Hi Skip,

I have Image Previews/Always save selected, but i do not see an option to choose the size anywhere under ' File Handling ' in Photoshop 7 or 8? Am i missing something?

Hi Chris,

No that's not what i was saving the files as, i was saving them as JPEGs from the drop down menu. I choose this option when i save pics .... JPEG ( JPG JPEG JPE ) that's without all the dots and comma thingys. I save my pics as JPEGs most of the time, so i found it confusing that i would get a thumbnail if i saved a pic in Photoshop 7 but not in 8 when i was doing the exact same thing. But as i said in my earlier post, as soon as i changed the setting back to ' Web Graphics Defaults ' from ' Custom ' it saves the pics with a thumbnail now. But thank you for your input i appreciate it.

Phee
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 AM

Quit/Relaunch Photoshop for the preference to take effect. Previously saved files will have to be opened to take effect...skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Icon.jpg (74.8 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipc
Quit/Relaunch Photoshop for the preference to take effect. Previously saved files will have to be opened to take effect...skip
Hi Skip,

Thanks for posting that screen shot. I do not have the same options as you do, in either versions of Photoshop. What version do you have? I have attached screen shots of both my versions so you can see for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photoshop 7 file handling pref.1.jpg (49.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Photoshop 8 file handling pref.1.jpg (51.3 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 11:14 AM

If it's something that you have spend a lot of time color correcting or editing, save as a Photoshop document. If you save as a JPEG everything gets merged and you lose your ability to go back and make changes since the layer information is not saved in a JPEG.

I ALWAYS save a PSD file! If I need a copy for email or web or a CMYK TIFF for print I save an additional copy in those formats, but ALWAYS a PSD file.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help