Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

measure a curves length

Old 06-14-2006, 06:25 PM

Question measure a curves length

Hello!

Can someone please let me know if it is possible in Photoshop to measure the length of curves? In my example picture you see a black curve which i want to know how many pixel or cm it has, just like a curved road has kilometers. The thin red line is what a perfect measure-tool would "move along" and in the end calculate the straight line segments lenght to the final lenght. Sadly the Photoshop measure tool can only tell the X/Y cooradinates of start- endpoints and not the length itself. Maybe there is a trick or a plugin?

Ciao tutti
Attached Images
File Type: gif measure.gif (7.5 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 06:54 PM

i would export the path to adobe illustrator, assuming you have one point at every corner where you made your path.

when u have the path in illustrator, i would *select one piece of the path at a time, and jot down the measurement, just keep cutting piece by piece and jotting down the measurements of the individual pieces of the path, then add them together.

sounds long and tedious, but can be done very quickly.

*you can slect one piece at a time by clicking the middle of the piece that u want with the (white arrow tool).

or in photoshop, you can duplicate your path and cut the individual pieces of the path, rotate them to lay horizontaly, then piece htem together and measure it out by placing guides at the beginning and end of the flattened path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (45.1 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 10:52 AM

thanks for replying kr1156! i hoped there would have been a plugin that does it (kind of easy to program i think), doing it manually is ok if the curve is short like in my example pic, but normally it would be too much work for me, to be honest

ciao!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 02:32 PM

Interesting question. I'm curious to know why you need to do this... What do you do with the curve length once determined?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 01:13 AM

Wouldn't the length be proportionate to the resolution? To me, something of more value might be to have Curves also equated to Camera F stops. I still think of exposure in those terms.

Dave

Last edited by Duv; 06-17-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Wouldn't the length be proportionate to the resolution?
yes but why would that be any problem at all? the resolution is not an unknown factor and can easily be integrated in the calculation.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help