RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

how to create glass room(box) in photoshop

Old 07-27-2006, 01:15 PM

how to create glass room(box) in photoshop

I have a new project that I require to place my subject into a glass box(room) and this will be placed in public places such as town centres. Can anyone do this? is it possible?
thanks
umit
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 01:29 PM

welcome to RP, umitulgen.

sounds like an interesting project. but let me understand this. when you say it's going to be placed in public places do you mean the finished picture is going to be placed in public places or you want the person in the box to LOOK like it's been put in public places and therefore have all the reflections and lighting of such?

craig

edit: and yes, either way, it's possible, though the latter is going to be a lot trickier.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 04:29 AM

glass box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
welcome to RP, umitulgen.

sounds like an interesting project. but let me understand this. when you say it's going to be placed in public places do you mean the finished picture is going to be placed in public places or you want the person in the box to LOOK like it's been put in public places and therefore have all the reflections and lighting of such?

craig

edit: and yes, either way, it's possible, though the latter is going to be a lot trickier.
Hi Craig
thanks for your reply. The finished photo will look like the guy is smoking a cigarette in a glass room in a town centre..
I am ok with photoshop, changing things, blendings things etc. But creating non existing things like glass box.. no idea how could it be done. One thing I thought of is to buy a glass box, small one and photograph it but I come to problems of reflections, opecity of the glass in the finshed photo etc.. can this be done in photoshop?

Thanks
umit
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM

umit,

yes, it can be done in photoshop, at least for 2 dimensional. if you want 3 dimensional, then no; you'd need a 3d editor.

as for how to do it, i can only give you some basics, as i'm not sure i could do what you want either. but i do know it could be done.

basically, on something like this, you're going to want to start with your furthest most objects and scenery and build them up one layer at a time with each subsequent layer being more in the foreground. so, you might build the background of the town center first, then the back wall of the box, then the person in the box and the smoke, then side walls and then front wall.

the real trick is going to be reflections and refraction and highlights and lighting. plastic, glass, and translucent water can be tricky and frankly, i'm not good at it. the reflections are going to be key for selling the realism and will depend on your 'town center' imagery. a lot of your layers are also going to have to be partially opaque/translucent. how much will depend on the other factors/elements within the picture.

me, with what i know (and dont know), i'd start by just trying to make the box itself. i'd just experiment with how that one element was going to look all by itself and then move up to the more complex lighting and reflection problems. it's certainly going to be partially translucent so i'd work with that first and get that part down.

depending on how much 'smoke' you're going to put in the box may also save you some hassles in reflections and transparency, especially in the back wall of the box.

you're also going to have to remember to make your reflecions mirror images.

so, i can only give you some general guides here. i'm not sure i could do it, but i know it can be done. maybe one of the 'from scratch' artists here will chime in with some help.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help