RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Vector Image Question. Right Spot???

Old 09-02-2006, 10:53 PM

Meg,

I live about 25 miles East of Ft. Worth, in Irving.
The bugs aren't so bad, it's the heat... heh

I have made a lot of stuff using vector paths, (Illustrator too) not every day, but enough, and after I got over being scared of it, I love it.
It'll be perfect for what you want to do, and hopefully it'll all go well for you on this book project.

Make sure that you do understand about PPI though, there ain't nothing like starting out on something and the resolution isn't enough. I did that the first thing I wanted to print when I first started years ago.

Good luck on that, and show us what you came up with when you can.

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2006, 09:28 AM

If you upgrade to CS2 you get the ability to place any vector graphic from Illustrator directly into Photoshop as a "Smart" object. You maintain complete control of the vector object and can still edit it in Illustrator. When you save a change to the vector in Illustrator, the Smart Object in PS will be updated.

Since these Smart Objects retain their vector format, they print clean and crisp just as normal custom shapes do in PS. Resize as much and as often as you like and they stay as vectors. You have the option to rasterize them if you wish.

This is new to CS2 and gives complete control to a designer. I've seen some amazing tutorials where things like a wine label, done in Illustrator, is warped around a photo of a bottle in PhotoShop maintaining all the crisp qualities of text and logos in the vector graphic. Wonderful stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recrisp
Meg,

I live about 25 miles East of Ft. Worth, in Irving.
The bugs aren't so bad, it's the heat... heh

I have made a lot of stuff using vector paths, (Illustrator too) not every day, but enough, and after I got over being scared of it, I love it.
It'll be perfect for what you want to do, and hopefully it'll all go well for you on this book project.

Make sure that you do understand about PPI though, there ain't nothing like starting out on something and the resolution isn't enough. I did that the first thing I wanted to print when I first started years ago.

Good luck on that, and show us what you came up with when you can.

Randy
Well, howdy neighbor! Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I have been trying out a couple of new ideas that I saw on other vector drawings, so hopefully, something will fall into place soon!! I'll post pics when I figure out how! Haha! -Megs
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
If you upgrade to CS2 you get the ability to place any vector graphic from Illustrator directly into Photoshop as a "Smart" object. You maintain complete control of the vector object and can still edit it in Illustrator. When you save a change to the vector in Illustrator, the Smart Object in PS will be updated.

Since these Smart Objects retain their vector format, they print clean and crisp just as normal custom shapes do in PS. Resize as much and as often as you like and they stay as vectors. You have the option to rasterize them if you wish.

This is new to CS2 and gives complete control to a designer. I've seen some amazing tutorials where things like a wine label, done in Illustrator, is warped around a photo of a bottle in PhotoShop maintaining all the crisp qualities of text and logos in the vector graphic. Wonderful stuff.
Hi Swampy! Thanks for the help. That all sounds awesome! Next time I get some moola, I will have to look into getting an illustrating program. Hopefully, I will be able to figure it all out. Heehee. Thanks!! -Megamama
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help