Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Is Photoshop able to NOT remember last options used?

Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Post Is Photoshop able to NOT remember last options used?

As you all know Photoshop is a huge program and this could be the least question to ask about PS but for some reason I can't remember the exact key.

I am trying to find the key to press if I want to use a filter to its default use.

I know I can just go to the file menu select filter, choose a filter and when the window comes up I can press the alt key and the cancel button becomes the reset but...

I heard of pressing the a key while going to the file menu and selecting the filter and the window of the filter comes up already with its default setting. I have seen it somewhere but I don't remember it now.

Can anyone tell me what key or funtion it is?

Like I said I know of the alt key after the window comes up but the one I am looking for is being press while you choose the desire filter.

I will appreciate it a lot if you can provide the info.

Also, is there a choice to have on or off to not make Photoshop remember the last setting use on the filters. This would help me a lot too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Re: Is Photoshop able to NOT remember last options used?

Don, I've never seen or heard of being able to set defaults in filters. Nor can I get a filter to reset. I'm able to get "reset" to replace the Cancel button by holding down the Alt key, but I've never seen it DO anything to change the settings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Re: Is Photoshop able to NOT remember last options used?

Holding down the Alt key and clicking Reset will only restore your previously used values. In other words,if, for instance, on the last occassion you used Gaussian Blur, you used a radius with a value of 0.5 it will reset it to 0.5 not the original, out of the box settings. Again, perhaps more clearly, if you open Guassian Blur it will show your last used value. For argument's sake let's say this is 0.5. Now you change the value to 3, decide you don't like it and want to use your previously used value. You press Alt and the cancel button becomes a Reset button. You click it and the value goes back to 0.5. It won't go back to the Factory Seting.

The only way of getting your filters back to their original settings is to dump the Preferences File. But be warned you will lose all your preferences eg. Color Management, pallette locations, units of measurement preferences etc. But if you want to do this here is how: immediately after starting Photoshop press Alt+Cntrl+Shft. You have to hold for a few seconds. It should then ask you if you want to delete the preferences file and you click yes. You will then have to reset your preferences: File handling, color management, scratch disks, units of measurement etc and when you exit Photoshop a new Preferences file will be created.

At least one filter (Lighting Effects) resets itself each time you leave Photoshop. I don't know of any others.

Please note I am only referring to Filters here. Layer styles always reset themselves to the default after each use. Adjustment layers too, will also always be default when you open them. Brushes and other tools can be reset while the programme is running. You can do that from Preset Manager or from the relevant tools options.

Finally I don't know whether this 'remembering you last value behaviour' can be turned off. I tried to look in the help file but couldn't find anything. Perhaps someone else knows.

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Red face I have seen it somewhere but can't remember how!

Thank you very much for the responses to my previous post.

I have to looked around for that option but no luck so far. What I do remember was that I saw this "choice" done in one of the Total training for Adobe Photoshop CS DVDs taught by Deke McClelland.

As I mentioned before, you press and hold a key while going to the filters menu and select the filter of your choice then when the dialog box of that specific filter comes up, it comes with the default values NOT with the last used BUT with its default ones.

Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Isn't it crazy that when you need a simple shortcut you spend more time trying to find it than actually aplying it....If anyone knows of the Key or shortcut please let me know!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help