RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Exporting Images

Old 11-26-2006, 08:28 PM

Exporting Images

Hello, I am having trouble e-mailing photoshop CS2 images, but more importantly, I want to put some images onto a CD. I tried to do this with another program, but the PSD files didnt make it to the CD. Do I need to uninstall photoshop, and if I do, will I lose all of my images? please help! Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Patron

Re: Exporting Images

Your problems likely have nothing to do with CS2. When you attach a file to an email, your email program does not care if it is .psd, or .xls, or .tiff, etc. If attached properly, the attached file is just another binary file. Your ISP or the ISP of the recipient however may have some filters. These virus filters may not be able to scan the type of file you are sending and may reject it, although that is not normal. Make sure that your file have a valid suffix at the end of their names. Also make sure that you are not using any illegal characters in the file names (like / $ #, etc)
Problem 2: writing to CD/DVD is really a function of the burner s/w you are using. Once again, they don't care what the file type is as long as it is a valid file and name syntax.
You should in NO way need to uninstall PS.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Ok, its not the file names, but I had an old copy of microsoft digital images, and I downloaded it. The files I was trying to send with photoshop and wouldnt, did with M.D.I. I also think that I can send it to M.D.I. and get them onto a CD, that is a quick fix for now, but I cant figure out how to fix this problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 09:43 PM

Well I was wrong about opening them up in M.D.I. it would transfer them there, but it gave me the message "cant open that kind of file" or something like that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 PM

hi,
1. first your photoshop has nothing to do with your problems of either sending email or burning a cd.... so forget about unisntall PS...

2. email.... you gave very little info on what you were trying to do....
a. if your embedding the pictures into the email... there only about 6 formats you can use and psd is not one of them!! .. use either jpg, bmp, gif format...
there a couple of that allowable but I have never seen them used....
b. if attaching a file... email servers (send or recv) will only accept at most a 10 meg file size.
so you need to determine what the max file your server will allow and what size your file is....... if over the limit then either make the file smaller or use one of the on line emails server that will allow huge file sizes.....

3. burning cd.... doesn't matter what format the files are in... what program are you using... roxio, or nero, or some other or are you using the M$ bundled burning program? I am assuming you do have a cd-r/rw drive.. that mandatory in order to burn cd.... cd-rom is read only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HroadhogD1
Hello, I am having trouble e-mailing photoshop CS2 images, but more importantly, I want to put some images onto a CD. I tried to do this with another program, but the PSD files didnt make it to the CD. Do I need to uninstall photoshop, and if I do, will I lose all of my images? please help! Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2006, 05:45 PM

I think I finally figured out something, but still not sure why the Images wouldnt go to a CD. I had been trying to put my girlfriends family pictures onto a CD so she could pass them out for Christmas. I had all but about 8 or 9 that would not go to the CD, show up in any of my photo programs, or even e-mail. The images were mostly black and white images, that had a red cast to them. What I ended up doing was looking at the best layer, or layers, that didnt have the red cast, and deleted the unused layers. The images looked good. This put them into the multichannel mode. All I had to do was switch to greyscale.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2006, 05:38 AM

So my question is why a mutichannel PSD file would not export to a CD? Anybody know?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2006, 09:39 AM

hi,
The only thing that really comes to mind is the file sizes. Now there was no info in your post about how much space the other files were taking up on the cd..!!

now remember a cd hold about 660-700 megs of data... it could be the disk was pretty full and those multi channels psd may have been too large for what free space there was. ...

changing to a different format should greatly reduce the file size to where you can get it on the cd... this is assuming that cd was pretty full to begin with..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HroadhogD1
So my question is why a mutichannel PSD file would not export to a CD? Anybody know?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2006, 03:49 PM

The CD was about half full.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Patron

Are you burning a data CD or a photo CD? If it is the latter, layered image file formats (your psds) most likely aren't supported. Try converting them to flattened tiffs (make copies) or if that doesn't work, uncompressed jpegs.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help