RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

extract command

Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 AM

extract command

I use Photoshop 7 to edit JPEG files, which are then opened in non-Adobe DTP software.
Using "extract" or "clipping path" commands, the files open with a solid white - not transparent - background.

Would be grateful for any suggestions...or maybe details of any other reasonably priced software which would do the job....can't afford InDesign!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 AM

Re: extract command

Dear Tadpole,

If you are using a non-adobe software, then you might not have support for PSD files. But, you can try to convert the file from Photoshop to GIF or PNG. These two formats support background transparency and most of the Graphic Design and Manipulation Softwares support these two formats. However, you may face a little bit of color information loss. Try to optimize and convert the image as much high quality as you can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2007, 08:06 AM

You may also try using the export wizard under the HELP menu to export an EPS which supports transparency (Export Transparent Image). I don't know why they put this in the Help menu. Seems it should be in the File Save or Save As menu.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2007, 03:16 PM

Ok Question here.
If you are Using Photoshop7 to edit your jpegs then why is there another program opening them?
Just open your Photoshop7 and click File/Open then open the Jpeg that way.

Frogger
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM

correct me if i am wrong, but only illustrator and indesign support transparency in a psd file...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Theoretically, PixelZ, any DTP program that supports Postscript should support transparency. Using the Export Transparent Image saves the image with transparency. Many people think that saving a image out of Photoshop as an EPS will result in support of transparency, but not necessarily. You have to create a clipping path to get this to work correctly.

Tadpole, I'd be interested in knowing what DTP program you are using.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2007, 02:15 AM

thanks, Swampy, for your interest. looks like I didn't explain my problem very well, so I'll make one more try:

My digital photos of food & wine products are saved to hard disk. These JPEG's are opened, one by one, in PS7 for editing: levels, colour balance etc. They are then saved as high-quality JPEG's on hard disk, and finish up as part of items such as menus, price tickets, A4 shop signs etc. I use the extract command often, where the solid white background is ok, but occasionally I need transparency. (My DTP software is Broderbund's Print Shop 20: not fancy, but adequate). As you can see, PSD files are not part of my life!

So far as the Export Transparent Image routine is concerned, I discovered it some time ago, but nothing happens when I try to use it....maybe it's missing from my PS7 software.

I have seen JPEG's extracted in PS7 and exported to InDesign without problems. The solid white background is retained while the image is in PS7, and only disappears when it's opened in InDesign. So, it's all an "Adobe" thing. Maybe I should do a bit of web searching for other image editing software with a more friendly outlook on life?

thanks again, from "down under"
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM

Tadpole, you are right. It's an Adobe thing. As far as JPEGs go, they will always have a white background, because the JPEG format does not support transparency. InDesign has an option to "clip" the white around an image by using "detect edges" technology. I know this works for TIFF, not sure about JPEG since I never use JPEGs for an InDesign layout.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Theoretically, PixelZ, any DTP program that supports Postscript should support transparency. Using the Export Transparent Image saves the image with transparency. Many people think that saving a image out of Photoshop as an EPS will result in support of transparency, but not necessarily. You have to create a clipping path to get this to work correctly.

Tadpole, I'd be interested in knowing what DTP program you are using.
i don't see the option to Export Transparent Image in CS3 and there is no mention of it under the Help menu...i am curious where one would find this option...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2007, 05:50 PM

It's been there since version 5 or 6 I think... Check in the Help drop down menu...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (74.6 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help