RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Photoshop Help (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photoshop-help/)
-   -   Dual Monitor Photoshop Conundrum (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photoshop-help/18436-dual-monitor-photoshop-conundrum.html)

JayNads 08-13-2007 03:22 PM

Dual Monitor Photoshop Conundrum

Hi. I have a question about Photoshop and a dual monitor setup.

I've heard that with a dual monitor setup, you can use one screen to edit an image (often at 100-200%) and use the second monitor to view the same image fit to the screen to see the changes.

I've been trying to get this to work, and cannot figure it out. The only thing I could come up with was to place the navigator on the second monitor and enlarge it.

I originally got the second monitor to put my toolbars on, but figured that if there was some magic way to get the image on the second monitor too, that would be an added bonus.

***As a bonus question***

For those of you with dual-monitor setups, how do you run Photoshop on them to make good use of the abundant real-estate?

Thanks for your help on this!!!

Doug Nelson 08-13-2007 03:53 PM

Re: Dual Monitor Photoshop Conundrum

I use my 2nd screen for all my palettes in maximized mode.

As for your main question, go to the Window menu and select Arrange>New Window to get a 2nd view of your file.

D Thompson 08-13-2007 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how I've got mine setup. My main lcd is a 17" and has nothing but the menu bar and the image I'm working on. My secondary is only a 15", but has my toolbar, layers, channels, paths, info, histogram, history, actions, color, swatches, styles palettes. I also have the navigator setup on the 2nd to give a overall. Here is a screenshot of it. It works for me.

JayNads 08-16-2007 02:43 PM

Thanks for your help on this . . . one last question:

While I am fairly adept at keyboard shortcuts, I have found some things that I still access with a mouse.

I use a Wacom tablet . . . how does everyone handle their Wacom settings with the dual monitors?

For example, my pen only accesses my main monitor, but the mouse access the entire desktop (both screens). This isn't entirely acceptable for me (I wish I had a toggle switch to jump the pen tool between screens), but so far I've been dealing with it. What does everyone else find works for them?

Doug Nelson 08-16-2007 06:00 PM

I have my Wacom set to relative positioning, so it reaches both monitors.

leuallen 08-16-2007 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know if this will help but with my Intundos 3 6x8, the pen will span both monitors. I have is set under Mapping to Pen, Full Screen Area, Tablet area to Portion. The Portion option allows you to select an area of the tablet that will be active. I use a pretty small area of the available area and in proportion to the rectangle created by the two screens. The pen is very sensitive to small movements but I like it that way. My wrist rests on a small cushion, the top approximately centered to the tablet which is slopping up at about a 30 degree angle. Strange but works well.

I never move my arm to control the pen. Its all in a slight wrist and finger movement. A moderate wrist movement will go from the right to the left. Precise control is done with the fingers, the arm resting on the tablet.

But wait - picture is worth a thousand words. The tablet is resting in a pulled out drawer. A 2 in wide strip of wood is at the front of the drawer and pushes the tablet back and allows an area for the cushion. The dark gray rectangle is a little larger than my mapped area. It is a dense thin rubber I found somewhere. It serves as my target for the pen and saves the top of the tablet.

Looks dumb but works a charm.

Larry

dmrdm 08-16-2007 06:44 PM

I run duals and have mine set up like DWTHOMP. Use a Wacom with no problems 17 & 19 inch screens. Don't forget to save your desktop once you have it set up the way you want it. I'm on my computer alot, but don't always need duals, so I have my dual destop saved....windows>save workspace and then give it a name. My husband just got a new computer with a 24 inch monitor. Would like to get rid of my duals and get one of those instead!! Good luck.

albatrosss 08-20-2007 11:28 PM

Just curious as to what video card you guys are using

JayNads 08-22-2007 04:14 PM

I have an ATI Radeon X1300.

Basically nearly any video card with dual outputs will work - by making both monitors a single desktop.

vinniesworld 08-22-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Nelson (Post 163735)
I use my 2nd screen for all my palettes in maximized mode.

Same here, the only thing on my main screen is the picture I'm working on.