RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Open JPEG in Camera RAW

Old 12-01-2007, 04:36 AM

Open JPEG in Camera RAW

i read about this but my cs3 just does not feature this option. not with ps, not with bridge.

how come?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2007, 07:24 AM

Re: Open JPEG in Camera RAW

In Bridge go to Edit/Preferences/Thumbnails and make sure that the Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for JPEG and TIFF Files is checked. Also in Bridge go to Edit/Camera Raw Preferences and make sure that under jpeg and tiff handling that both boxes are checked. Close and restart Bridge. You should be able to either double click or right click and open in ACR.

You can also try purging the cache of the folder where they are stored as sometimes that helps.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2007, 07:45 AM

Another Option is:

From Photoshop > File> Open dialog box, locate the file you want to open in Raw, select it then use the popup menu "FORMAT" in the Open Dialog box to select "Camera Raw".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Open.jpg (83.7 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2007, 08:03 AM

Maybe an easier way....if you're on windows go into Bridge, then right click on the image you want to open, and click on "open in Camera Raw". I guess this will work with Mac by opt click instead of right click.
John
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 AM

thx to all of you already, but my problem is not (yet) solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWThomp View Post
In Bridge go to Edit/Preferences/Thumbnails and make sure that the Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for JPEG and TIFF Files is checked. Also in Bridge go to Edit/Camera Raw Preferences and make sure that under jpeg and tiff handling that both boxes are checked. Close and restart Bridge. You should be able to either double click or right click and open in ACR.
i have the option "prefer camera raw..." set, but i dont have any "Camera Raw Preferences" available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Another Option is:
From Photoshop > File> Open dialog box, locate the file you want to open in Raw, select it then use the popup menu "FORMAT" in the Open Dialog box to select "Camera Raw".
well i selected the camera raw option, but the previously selected jpg will be opened the normal way and of i chose raw in advance no files but tif and stuff is available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britsdad View Post
Maybe an easier way....if you're on windows go into Bridge, then right click on the image you want to open, and click on "open in Camera Raw". I guess this will work with Mac by opt click instead of right click.
John
this was the option i was looking for the whole time, but i just dont have it

am i doing something seriously wrong? (i have the newest camera raw-version installed)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxaero View Post
i have the option "prefer camera raw..." set, but i dont have any "Camera Raw Preferences" available
In Bridge CS3 you should be able to go to Edit and then right above the Preferences there should be Camera Raw Preferences. If you click on that it should bring up another window with those preferences. You can also get into the Camera Raw preferences by pressing ctl+k while in ACR or going to the top line of tools and selecting the icon for preferences.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 PM

I don't know if older versions of Ps got this. I use Ps CS4. When I need to open a picture in Camera Raw, I open Ps first, then File - Open, you will get the file where you have your pictures. At the lower left corner you are going to see: Format with a drop down menu, where you choose what kind of format you want your picture to open, there you can find Camera Raw. No need to open Bridge.

Last edited by Boneappetit; 09-30-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxaero View Post
i read about this but my cs3 just does not feature this option. not with ps, not with bridge.

how come?
I'm not really sure, but perhaps you need to configure your Camera Raw in Photoshop. Open Ps and go to Photoshop Preferences, the 3rd line at the left says File Handling, the lower pane is where you set the Camera Raw to work with Ps.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM

Well, my way of doing this is to have Bridge open, then to File and choose "Open in Camera RAW. It doesn't matter that I am opening a jpg. The first time I read about this I was astonished to see that it would work........But all I could try it out on was CS4 as I don't have anything older on my computer. CS3 gave me to many problems. Adobe even had a special piece of software to unload CS3 from ones files. At least they did on the Mac. Good luck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help