RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

How do I stop CS2 being my default programme

Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 AM

How do I stop CS2 being my default programme

I had a full version of Photoshop CS2 then bought the CS3 upgrade. Lots of problems initially installing because I still had trial version of CS3 on my computer. Eventually, after much removing and re installing both programmes worked, but CS2 remains my default. I have tried going into properties on files and changing the programme to 'open with' from there, but CS3 does not appear on the list. Do you think it would be OK to un install CS2 even though its the main programme and CS3 is only an upgrade? Or is there another solution?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 AM

Re: How do I stop CS2 being my default programme

Hilda, Welcome aboard!

You didn't say which computer platform (Mac or PC), but I have both CS2 and CS3 in my Apps folder with no problem.

In addition to running the CS3 Beta uninstaller, there was an additional script from Adobe (you can down load it if you don't have it) that did some more clean up of the CS3 Beta.

Also, on the Mac, if you click on a JPEG, TIFF or PSD file, do a "Get Info", check the Open with box and select CS3 and also check the selection to do this for all similar files.
(I don't know why CS3 is not showing up in your "open with" selections).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Patron

Ali,
CS3 can coexist fine with previous versions (I have 6 thru CS all installed and all functional) but they can be sensitive to the order of installation. I recommend that you uninstall them both. Remove any folder that they left in the C>Programs>PS>PS(version) as well as C>Documents and Settings>Your User file>Application Data>Adobe>Aobe Photoshop CS2 and CS3.

BEFORE you install CS2, first try to install only the CS3 upgrade. If you purchased your upgrade as a download, (or maybe even if you did not) the installer may ask you only to enter your CS2 serial number. If that does not work, it will ask you to insert the original media of an earlier version. So just insert your CS2 CD Rom and it should be fine.

If you want to have both CS2 and CS3 installed then reinstall CS2 first and then CS3. Then start CS3 but the 1st thing to do is click Updates under the help menu and update the program before you run it.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 04:14 AM

I omitted to say I run Windows, it was all very complicated when I first installed because I upgraded from an educational version of CS2 to CS3 Premium (having first checked with Adobe of course) but had to go through the help desk to properly install it because the programme itself wouldnt recognise the original CS2 educational as a qualifying install. Anyway it all works fine except I rarely work with CS2 now and every time I click on a file it just fires up CS2 as the default. It definately isnt listed in the 'open with' box or 'change' in the properties section, though I have been told today that I could browse for it in the programme files when trying to change. Only thing is I doubt that will make it my default programme, so, as I feared it could be an uninstall, re-install. Just hope it doesnt throw up all the original problems, - maybe not as the serial numbers and codes will remain on the computer (I think)
Thanks for your contributions both, much appreciated.
Hilda
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Janitor

When you rightclick a file you'd like Photoshop CS3 to open, you'll see an "Open With" option. Clicking this will open a dialog box with a "browse" button towards the bottom. Clicking on "browse" will give you a file browsing dialog with an option box for whether to always use the selected app to open that type of file. Check the box and browse to Phothshop CS3.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Hi Doug,
I wish it did. You see CS3 does not show up in the list, so I created a shortcut on the desktop and navigated to that, it works now on most files, but the 'always use the selected application' box is greyed out.
I have been into Bridge, 'preferences', f'ile type associations' and changed my JPG setting to the CS3 prog, but again had to navigate to the shortcut on my desk top.
One of the reasons I want CS3 to be my default, apart from its obvious advantages is that the new version of Camera Raw only works with CS3, and Im following Scott Kelbys new book, '7 Point System' which is cleverly showing me how to use Cam Raw the easy way. Im only half way through and already have a working knowledge of Cam Raw from nothing.
Hilda
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Janitor

OK, try this:

Open Bridge from Photoshop CS3, then Edit>Preferences, then select File Type Associations
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 AM

Thank you, the Bridge File Type Associations has worked
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help