RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

CS2 keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Old 02-01-2008, 01:47 PM

CS2 keyboard shortcut doesn't work

I just installed CS2 on two different computers. Both computer had Elements 6 already installed. I don't know if having both programs installed has anything to do with my problem.

The open bracket [ and closed bracket ] keys will not effect the size of my brush tool the way they do in elements 6 and the way they should in CS2 according to some reference books I own.

Anybody have a clue?

BTW, I uninstalled Elements 6 and CS2 from one computer, then reinstalled just CS2 and the shortcut problem remains.

Thanks

Wes
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Patron

Re: CS2 keyboard shortcut doesn't work

Sometimes mine acts like that also. My solution thus far has been selecting another tool then go back to the one I want. It seems to work again after clicking away, then back.

As a last resort and If no one else offers a better fix there is always resetting the preferences... which seems to cure a lot of ills

You reset the preferences when you start Photoshop by holding down the control, alt and shift at the same time, THEN start Photoshop with the keys still held down. You will be asked if you want to delete the prefs file to which you will click, yes. A new one will be created when Photoshop starts. (If it didn't ask if you want to delete, then it didn't work... try again.. it's a timing thing)

If you had changed cursor type, undo history levels and where to find third party plug-ins set your preferences over again, change them back to what you had before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the reply.

So far neither course of action has changed the situation. The brush will not resize with the keyboard shortcuts.

This is really a pain. I didn't realize how much I depended on this functionality!

Wes
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 PM

By any chance do you have the Caps lock key on? If ya do, turn it off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Didn't that shortcut change somewhere in the evolution of Photoshop? It used to be [ and ], now it's < and >.

It's no biggie. You can set up all your Keyboard Shortcuts in the Edit menu. Go nuts!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I discovered that CS2 is not reading my keyboards correctly. When I openned the keyboard shortcuts editor I discovered that the key I typed for a shortcut was not the key that was read by CS2. For example pressing the [ key in the shortcut editor displays a small 1/2 symbol. No matter, once I reset the shortcuts they work with the old keystrokes, CS2 just thinks they are different keys!

Regards

Wes
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 AM

I have had problems with Photoshop CS4 too. Shortcuts weren't working. What I discovered was that other programs running in the background were conflicting with the Photoshop shortcuts.
Programs like VOIP apps and Chat apps can cause conflicts. Check to make sure that nothing else you are running is using the same sequence of keys.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help