RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Curvy line help in Photoshop 7...

Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Curvy line help in Photoshop 7...

I'm needing to make a nice smooth curvy line in photoshop and found this link which is great.

http://www.agavegroup.com/?p=68

However, when I make my line it looks all pixelly and rough on the edges. How do I make it look smooth? Please help! Thanks!
Brandi
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Re: Curvy line help in Photoshop 7...

The pen tool is the best way to make curves in photoshop. A lot of people are intimidated by the pen tool at first, but it is well worth the effor to master.

When you draw with the pen tool you will create a path. Before you start, set your brush tool to the color and thikness that you want. To create a line, draw where you want your line to be with the pen. Right click with the pen tool still selected, and select "Stroke Path". Select the brush, and your path will be stroked with the brush, using the brush settings that you previously selected.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.Cox View Post
The pen tool is the best way to make curves in photoshop. A lot of people are intimidated by the pen tool at first, but it is well worth the effor to master.

When you draw with the pen tool you will create a path. Before you start, set your brush tool to the color and thikness that you want. To create a line, draw where you want your line to be with the pen. Right click with the pen tool still selected, and select "Stroke Path". Select the brush, and your path will be stroked with the brush, using the brush settings that you previously selected.
I did all that but my line looks pixelly. I followed the above tutorial and it works great, except for the fact that I can't figure out why my line is all pixelly/rough looking. Any ideas on that? Thanks!
Brandi
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 PM

If you are using a standard brush as the tutorial says, it can depend on the brush settings. The standard photoshop brush got a spacing set to 25%(at least on my mac), and that can cause some rough edges.
Take a look at "Brushes->Brush Tip Shape->Spacing", and if it is above 0%, take it down to 0 and try again.

Could help... it's all i could think of right now...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 03:28 PM

Check the resolution that you are using when you create a document. It could be that you have it set to low.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Here is an example using the above method with the brush size set to 5, 10, 15, and 20 px. The Resolution for the canvas was set at 72ppi.
Attached Images
File Type: png StrokeExample.png (17.5 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help