RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Newbie lost in photoshop...PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 PM

Newbie lost in photoshop...PLEASE HELP!!!

There were duplicate threads on this topic. I combined them into this one. - DannyRaphael

---------------------------

Okay, so I am a newbie, and as the title suggests, I feel completely lost in photoshop. I bought the photoshop CS3 book for photographers and it doesn't really go through how I can drag and drop (if that's even possible) to create a collage. Also, I bought fairy templates (I think that's the term) so that I can take a picture of my daughter and place her in a jar (one layer)sitting on a mushroom (another layer) and add wings (yet another layer) but I only know how to open up one photo into layers. I can create new layers and even masks (though not sure how to use a mask really...kind of intimidating) but can you open two photos in two layers at the same time and merge them together somehow? Also, I am looking for a step by step tutorial for using templates through Millers print lab to upload an image for printing my business cards. Not sure about how to merge the template with the photo I am using... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Janice (complete newbie photographer in business wingin' it and brand new to this forum)
Thanks in advance

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 04-09-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 PM

Re: Newbie lost in photoshop...PLEASE HELP!!!

Janice:

No you can't open two photos in one layer, Just open each in it's own layer and move them around as you need to. Each layer is independent so you can resize them with the transform tool, make adjustments, levels and so on. You can blend each layer so that if you want you can come up with a composit of all of them. I am not a pro, Heck not even a novice, and i am just starting to get the idea of combining images. I looked around on the web for some tutorials to follow. There are ton's of instructions out there.

I am new to this forum but from the work I see here i am sure someone with experiance will come along shortly. Can you post some examples of what you want to do ? Hankw
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 12:19 AM

I wish I had an example. What I want to do as far as the collage is lower the opacity (which I am not sure how to do exactly, although I have done stumbling around but haven't been able to do it again) and place smaller pictures with drop shadows around it randomly over the top. As far as the layered files, there is an example at the creator's website... www.wishyouwellsonline.com. So, there are three layers, and I need to add my picture, too... how do you do all of this if you can't open two things and merge layers?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 AM

Harbor. You can have lots of different photos opened at the same time, but in order to get elements from one to the other you must first extract from one photo what you want to put into another. Once you have an extraction or selection of an element (for example the jar) you can drag and drop the jar from it's photo to another base photo (background photo). Then extract your son in his photo and drag and drop him to the base photo. Each extracted element comes into the "base" photo on it's own layer where you can manipulate them further by moving, resizing etc.

Photoshop has some good Help instructions. Search for "selection" to learn how to make them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 AM

Re: Complete Newbie In Serious Need Of Help!!!

Hi harborimages
and welcome
I think this is what you want to know in brief ( till someone comes along and explains better )

open both images
get the move tool from the tool pallette click on the one you want to be the top layer
then just drag it onto the other image
you will see the different layers then in the layers pallette, to merge or flatten press the little arrows at the side for the info
There will be a lot more questions that you will ask next but one step at a time

here are some tutorials you might find usefull (there are plenty more and they dont have to be just for cs3 )
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/
hope this has been of some use for you any problems or questions just ask

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg move.jpg (12.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg layer.jpg (18.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by palms; 04-09-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 AM

Smile Re: Complete Newbie In Serious Need Of Help!!!

Janice:
Lost the other thread where i responed the first time, Anyway try this link

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...hlight=collage

this tutorial will take you thru it step by step, I tried it and did several of them with just junk photos. You know the old routine " learn by doing" n my case it's doing it over and over again
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM

Hi Janice...

Welcome to RetouchPRO from a fellow Washitonian. We're going to Ocean Shores Thursday, so we'll wave (from I-5) as we go past your general neck of the woods.

Note: If you haven't yet, it would be a good idea to make backup copies of your template files so you don't accidently alter the originals.

From Photoshop's File menu you can Open numerous image files.
* If the templete layers are in one file, open it. (If there are separate files for each template, open each template file.)
* Open the image of the child
* Select > All
* Edit > Copy
* Click on the template image
* Edit > Paste [to transfer the image]. This will create a new layer
* In Photoshop's layers palette you can drag layers up/down to alter their order. Think of each layer as sheets of clear plastic that contains one component, e.g., jar, wings, child, jar, etc. You will need to order the layers so objects are properly placed in front/behind other objects as needed.
* You can adjust a layer's Opacity here, too (see attachment below)
* As Swampy noted you'll most likely need to learn about making selections, how to use the Extract tool, the ins/outs of layer masks, etc.

I would highly recommend taking one of the Photoshop for Beginners classes at either www.eclecticacademy.com or www.lvsonline.com. Low cost, hands on, well organized, you get a real instructor who will answer questions as you go, spread out over several weeks. Jumping into PS and getting up to speed willy-nilly or via a book isn't the way to go. This path normally leads to frustration and disappointment.

I sense your anxiousness to get going, but in the long run you'll be glad you learned some basic skills and terminology through a hands-on training program.

Hope this helps get you started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP LP Opacity.jpg (9.6 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 PM

A lot of people forget all about the HELP menu built into Photoshop. Lots of good stuff there if you search on key words.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help