Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Soft Proof - Photoshop CS3

Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Soft Proof - Photoshop CS3

I've been away from photoshop for a good 4 yrs for professional reasons, consequentially I completely bypassed the whole CS evolution, now I am back to work with photography and got the CS3... I have just noticed now the soft proofing thing under View, and after a little play got well worried on exactly how to set up my screen and this proofing to get as close as possible to the final result (print or web)
I tried searching the web but i got very little info on how to set up and so... thats why I am starting this thread... how do you guys use it? or don use it?

needless to say I just noticed after I finished 2 works that will get printed in magazine in London!!!! damn!!! I am a bit worried but its too late now!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Re: Soft Proof - Photoshop CS3

Soft proofing allows you to see what a specific printer output may look like (w/in 95% or so). However, it requires three things to be an accurate representation:
1. A calibrated and accurately profiled monitor/LCD;
2. A printer profile that is specific to the printer and paper to be used;
3. A properly lighted viewing environment (i.e. D50).

Since the computer/application is simply doing a numerical conversion, it is still up to the display to represent the colors to your eyes correctly. Hence, the calibrated display.

If you plan on using a professional lab in your area, then contact them first as they may have written instructions for setting up the Proof>Custom dialogs, as well as the specific profiles for download. You should also read up on the Proof>Custom dialog settings, as some do make an impact on the result and are not automatically set correctly by default. Again, the lab should know what is best. If your lab does not have instructions, refer to this link for some good general instructions on setting it up. Dry Creek Photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 05:26 PM

thanks for the link mate,
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2008, 05:30 AM

You only need #1 and #2 (TommyO). The D50 lighting is only needed if you want to match your prints to the screen.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help