Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

"Fuzziness" From Rotating

Old 10-18-2008, 06:43 PM

"Fuzziness" From Rotating

Greetings,

My question is fairly straightforward... Maybe I'm completely crazy (which isn't out of the question) but from one of my previous Photoshop classes it seems like I remember being told that there's some way to set it so you can rotate something and the edges wont become "fuzzy" (or as "fuzzy"). I just don't remember how to do that, or even if it's true... Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. I can't say for certain...

I ask because I'm making some sprites for a little PC game I'm working on, and to make an animation it's a real pain to have to draw each frame over and over again. It would be so much easier just to be able to copy a part (like a foot for example), paste it, move it into position and rotate it a bit to fit, than rinse and repeat to create the animation. But whenever I do this now-- whenever I try to rotate a part-- it comes out very fuzzy ("aliased" I think it's called?).
Admittedly the sprites I'm working with are fairly small at around 150 pixels tall by 100 pixels wide, so I don't know if something like this is even possible.

Is it indeed possible to set some option or do some technique or something that will allow me to rotate things without them becoming so fuzzy? Or does anyone have any tips or advice on how I could make this a bit easier? Or for that matter, does anyone even know of a program that would allow me to do something like this in?

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Patron

Re: "Fuzziness" From Rotating

Hi Blue Leader, what program are you using now? What process steps are you using? Photoshop will allow you to make these rotations and they should not be fuzzy.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 11:57 AM

Sorry, I forgot to say which version of Photoshop. I actually thought of that later just before I fell asleep and thought "crap, I forgot to say what version of Photoshop I have". Yeah, I have too much time on my hands... XD

Anyhow, I'm using CS2.

I have the object graphic on its own separate layer. I have the "Show Transform Controls" on. I select the object (in this example, a foot) and rotate it by hand.

This is what it looks like before I rotate it...
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...otExample1.jpg

After I rotate it, even a little bit, it comes out like this...
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...otExample2.jpg

If I got to Edit -> Transform -> Rotate and rotate it that way I still get the same result. If I do something like Edit -> Transform -> Rotate 90 CCW the object does not get fuzzy at all and looks like the original image (just rotated 90 degrees), but I need more control than that...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Photoshop will allow you to make these rotations and they should not be fuzzy.
Only in 90 degree increments. Arbitrary rotations will incur resampling and therefore "fuzziness".
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 02:26 AM

Blueleader, there might be a way, though I'm not entirely sure.

Try going to your PS prefs and changing the Image Interpolation method from Bicubic to Nearest Neighbour. Then give the rotation a go.

For God's sake, don't forget to change it back to Bicubic as soon as you've finished!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo77 View Post
Blueleader, there might be a way, though I'm not entirely sure.

Try going to your PS prefs and changing the Image Interpolation method from Bicubic to Nearest Neighbour. Then give the rotation a go.

For God's sake, don't forget to change it back to Bicubic as soon as you've finished!!!
I never knew about that.
Well, it's not perfect and the pixels do shift around a little, but it's definately better than it was before. It's much easier to fix a few stray pixels than a bunch of aliasing stuff. :P
Thanks.

Though out of curiosity, why does it need to be changed back to Bicubic? It may be a stupid question, but I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Ha ha! Try resizing a regular photo and see how hideous it looks! Nearest neighbour is definitely only for specific purposes, but awful for everything else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM

The truth of the matter is, you'll get much more satisfactory results by making your sprites in vector format eg Illustrator, and rasterizing right at the end. But I'm not sure that's a practical solution for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 PM

I don't have Illustrator anyway, but I might take a look through it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 PM

try making them with vector shapes, that should minimize any artifacts from interpolation...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help