RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Patch tool weirdness in CS2

Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 PM

Arrow Patch tool weirdness in CS2

Though the CS2 patch tool USED to work correctly, of late it has taken a deviant route. Before, when I used it (non-transparent and source checked) the pixels I chose would be supplanted correctly into the chosen area. Now however, when I do the same thing it seems like the pixels are getting a bit smudged and mixed up. Anyone else have this experience? and how do I fix it?

thanks
Thomas
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Patron

Re: Patch tool weirdness in CS2

Thomas, welcome to RP! The Patch tool can produce some unexpected results depending on the source and destination areas' lumnosity and texture. It would be better to understand what effects you are experiencing if you could attach a Before and After image or screenshot.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 04:17 PM

I am brand new to this forum, and surely happy I found it. I have already seen some great work and used others "experiences." But today, I have a dilemma.
I am having the very same problem Thomas! I'm just beginning to work on my daughter's wedding pictures and have much retouching to do, including removing a safety pin from one of her favorite pictures.
Every time I try to remove it, the section just "blurs." The clone tool works, but the healing tool does not work properly, either. All looks great until I release the mouse and then the area blurs. I reset the tools, and restarted PSCS2. I'm really disappointed! Any thoughts as to what may have happened? or better yet, how to fix the tools?
Thanks,
Suzi
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 PM

thomk, just a thought, check and make sure that your feather for your lasso tool is set to 1. I'm not altogether sure but I believe that your feather is like your eye dropper's selection area in that it effects all other tools that use a similar selection. Worth a shot anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 04:33 PM

I checked EVERYTHING that feathers...even had reg. brush set to hard, etc...still getting blurred/feathered mess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 06:40 PM

You are not understanding what the patch and healing technology do Lazi. They make a smooth blend around the edges - and preserving texture. So if you try to heal over a paper clip and the underlying area has detail (ie contrast) then its not going to work. Same as using the clone stamp, you are going to have to find an area that perfectly matches and patch THAT into your area- try using the clone stamp FIRST and then use the healing or patch technology to mop up the damage only
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 PM

okay....I think I finally get it.....I can't take out a "part" - it has to be a "whole." I watched many tuts, and they all were taking out an entire ball, bird, etc...with close to matching pixels around it. Thanks for knocking me in the head! lol...
I'm getting the dress fixed, in parts and pieces, now.
Thanks!
suzi
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help