RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

The Memory Hogs

Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 AM

Unhappy The Memory Hogs

I have Photoshop CS4. I am also running Norton 360 v2.0 Antivirus/Firewall/Spyware. Windows XP Home SP 3. I am running 4 gigs of ram (3 gigs max are usable). Dell 3.06 GHZ with Diamond Stealth 256meg card. With no other programs (except background ones) running, Photoshop says I only have 1.455 GB ram available out of 3 gigs. I am using the recommended 72% of that (1.048 GB). I frequently run out of memory, like when saving several large jpegs for a stock agency. I frequently have to get out of Photoshop, and then get back in. Sometimes rebooting the PC is the only way to get a little more time between interruptions. It is even worse when running Adobe Bridge at the same time.

Oh, yeah, I am also running the scratch disk primary and secondary on two external USB HDDs. The primary one is 1TB, and the secondary is 3/4 TB. Both have lots of room. Photoshop is on my internal HDD.

The questions: Is there a good, low-cost, configurable PC anti-virus, firewall program out there that doesn't hog all the memory, does a good job, and doesn't cause the computer to do wierd things? Or, is there another program that could clear the memory without the need to vacate Photoshop so I could have some semblance of workflow? What else could be eliminated from running in the background to have more memory? Is there some affordable way to do all this? And please do not recommend Iolo System Mechanic Pro 8. Norton was an improvement over the Iolo program!

Thanks.

Gary Silverstein

weshoot.com

Last edited by weshoot; 12-23-2008 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Added external HDD capacity to post
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM

Re: The Memory Hogs

I have found most suites are memory hogs. If you have a router you already have a firewall. As for other protection I use avast antivirus, Winpatrol, Lavasoft Adaware and Mailwasher. I have found this combo adequate (along with some diligence) for the last few years.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 AM

There are a lot of things that could be eating up your memory. Nortan is the major cause of it. Another cause could be what you have running in the back ground, meaning what starts up when windows does. Most of the time every program you decide to instal adds a start up camand to run in the back ground. To check on how many proceses are running go into the task manager click on the tab that says procceses and look at how many things are running in the back ground. There are also ways to increase your vurtiual memory. If you are interested let me know
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2008, 09:07 PM

There are tons of articles, blogs, posts and whathaveyou on this issue on the web. A few things to mention besides what the others have:
- the USB scratch disk may be hurting your data throughput; they just are not fast enough. Use USB for storage but not PS scratch or Windows swap.
- you can enable Windows to use the full 3GB; it will not by default. Search the web for similar pages to this one (3GB Switch), although this one is reliable.
- Photoshop lies slightly on the low end about available RAM. You can go higher than the 72%, like 90-95% and see what happens.

I agree with Ted, in that with a router + Windows Firewall, you don't need such extensive protection (especially if you're behaving on the web). You could downgrade to a simpler memory resident anti-virus (like AVG (free)), then run a malware product on a schedule (not memory resident). It's not always the RAM these products use, but the CPU time they hog.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2008, 12:39 AM

Hi Everyone -

Wow. I am going to have to think about everything you've written about. I will also think about adding another internal hard drive, as my primary drive is low on space. One of the problems is that I am running on the edge of case heating. I fried a processor last year. I have a lot to consider. I want to thank you all for helping with this problem. Keep those ideas coming.

Thanks.

Gary Silverstein

weshoot.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Smile Re: The Memory Hogs

Hi Everyone -

Just thought I'd update this posting. I added an extra internal hard disk (160 GB) and set the pagefile to around the allowable 4GB. I don't know if it helped, as I got an "out of memory" dialog box while trying to save a file. I then tried TommyO's suggestion. So far, so good. I now have about a gigabyte more room available to Photoshop (according to Photoshop) than I did without the command to use 3GB. Thanks for the suggestion, TommyO. And no, I still haven't replaced the Norton 360 anti-virus and firewall program. I just recently spent $80 on it, and it does have a rather nice feature. It can be set to remember and insert all logins and passwords to all the sites I visit. I just insert my password once boot up, and it does the rest! This can keep any spyware at bay that registers keystrokes, as well as not having to remember all passwords and typing in logins all day. I am loathe to lose that feature.

Thanks again to all who made suggestions. Much appreciated.

Gary Silverstein

weshoot.com
bilbord.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM

Not a suggestion, mind you, but here's how I set mine up.
I have a dedicated machine for graphics/video/audio.

It sits on its own little group/LAN/network comprised of a NAS (network area storage) with 2TB capacity.
I have a separate desktop for other less resource intensive programs, MS Office, etc.
Finally, I have a laptop that I use for light tasks.

With the "creative" station isolated from general exposure to the web I am able to avoid installing anything like anti-virus, or other programs that are not related to the work I do.
If I do have to, scan, copy, add, content, I copy it to a shared directory on the NAS. By then it's been through the anti-virus on my desktop (Eset NOD32 - one of the best around).
About the only consideration I would give in terms of using an external drive for scratch disk use would to implement firewire over usb.
Ideally, an internal SATA/SATA2 drive would be optimal for responsiveness.

just my 2 cents...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2009, 02:01 PM

dont know if you know about pc pitstop or not but they have a free test to tell you what programs are running on your pc and some ideals on improving performance.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Hi Vernon and Out Of Focus -

Vernon - I have always wanted to have a separate system for graphics, but space and money have kept me from doing that. You are fortunate that you can do that. I have gotten rid of the virtual memory on my USB drives. There were no pagefiles recognized by the system anyway on the USB drives. One side note: I may replace my second internal drive with a 32GB Solid State Drive - I have found the 3.5" at that size for $159.00. It should be the fastest drive currently available. I only installed the 160GB 7200 EIDE drive because I had an old one lying around.

Out Of Focus - Thanks for the suggestion. If I discover that I am still frequently running out of memory, I will be sure to check out pcpitstop.com.

Thanks.

Gary Silverstein
weshoot.com
bilbord.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weshoot View Post
Hi Everyone -

Just thought I'd update this posting. I added an extra internal hard disk (160 GB) and set the pagefile to around the allowable 4GB. I don't know if it helped, as I got an "out of memory" dialog box while trying to save a file. I then tried TommyO's suggestion. So far, so good. I now have about a gigabyte more room available to Photoshop (according to Photoshop) than I did without the command to use 3GB.
[...]
weshoot.com
bilbord.com
The low amount of RAM you "see" in PS is not what is left by other programs, its what is left and have to be shared by all running programs. This is an important difference, so please keep this in mind and put good meant "recommendations" like "screw it up to 90%" in relation to that.
When others assign 1GB in PS they still might get 700MB left for other programs and actions - 300MB more than you - which might be enough to run most actions and plugins without problems.

You should know, that on a 32-bit system (without the /3GB switch), the max. amount of memory is 2GB for an application and from this some is taken by the OS. Regardless if 3 or 4 GB is populated. The max. which is available to PS is 1.7/1.8GB.
And most of the 4th GB is burned anyway on most computers, as yours proves as well. You better have bought yourself a bottle of <your favourite drink here> for the money.

So you are missing "only" 256MB, which might is taken by your video card. Maybe because it had mapped its 256 MB two times into RAM, or there is still mapped memory from an older card. Can this be? Or you left a former video card built in, but don't use it?

To find out and maybe correct it, first have a look how many RAM is reported while you are booting. It should be 4096 MB. If not, have a look to the memory section of your Bios. Not sure if DELL has something like this because they always sell their computers with a flatten BIOS, but search for "shared memory" and if its set to 256, set it to Auto. The Diamond Stealth is not an AGP card, right?
If you have a graphic chip on the mobo, remove the Diamond Stealth and see what happens.
If none of the above will free any RAM, you are invited to send me a screenshot of your used memory like its described in the link below, to find the real memory hog. Might be a different device. If you go for this, please expand all "+" in the tree
http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

btw: the /3GB swithh draws the OS back to a rather small 1GB corner. This might push down the overall performance of the system. The larger address space works only for programs which are coded for it, guess PS is the only one on your computer (besides defrag and some other system utilities)

Means when you'r not working with PS, the system remain pushed back to its smaller address space. If your system getting sluggish from time to time, don't wonder much.

The problem with PS is that ones touched mem is not freed easily - not unless you end the session. When you got OOMs better lower the amount of assigned RAM, which PS can't reserve for its need then and which remains available for other actions / plug-ins.
This might come for the price, that you scratch is used. Make sure it is pointed to the fastes disk you've got, since a scratchfile is always written from the very first moment when you start PS and easily get >4GB.

I feel you mix up pagefile and scratch disk. In the first post you are talking about scratch disks, in the last about the pagefile.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help